Termite's 95 K2500 Suburban

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

termite

Definitely NOT Awesome
Reaction score
Decided to take another look at swapping the O2 sensor out for the heated one this morning. Current state appears to be a 1994 vintage.

You must be registered for see images attach

Going to have to break out the wallet wrench and just get the local napa shop to deal with it. Nothing left of the existing to grab except with a pipe wrench/channel locks/etc.

Also realized I'm missing a bolt from the transmission pan....
Well, was feeling ambitious after washing a few of our rugs this morning and took a shot at getting the O2 sensor out. Heated it up quite a bit with a soldering torch head on a propane tank. After it cooled threw a pipe wrench on it and it actually spun out without a fight....maybe I should pick up a lottery ticket today. Here's the sensor for those that care to see it.

termite

Definitely NOT Awesome
Reaction score
Used all of my luck this morning apparently it seems. Still have the rug cleaning stuff out so I yanked the carpet from the cargo area to wash it decently well. Don't like what I've found hiding underneath it one bit. Seems 'solid' still, screwdriver doesn't punch through with a firm stab anywhere. I'm thinking the seam sealer at the fender has failed possibly.

termite

Definitely NOT Awesome
Reaction score
Current status after a 3-hour round with the grinder and wire wheel, vacuum, and some metal prep brushed on.

(The rust powder in the pitting shows big time after brushing on the metal prep.)

Tomorrow afternoon, I'll damp wipe it all and decide if it gets another round of cleaning or gets hit with primer.

Keeper

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That can't be a fun project in this heat. It doesn't look too bad though. The seat wells aren't rusted. Did you definitively find where the moisture is coming from, or came from? It looks like it could have come from a hidden spill under the third row seat from way back when. If that fender is the source, I'll have to take note of that possibility.... haven't seen that one before. Good catch and mitigation though!

termite

Definitely NOT Awesome
Reaction score
That can't be a fun project in this heat. It doesn't look too bad though. The seat wells aren't rusted. Did you definitively find where the moisture is coming from, or came from? It looks like it could have come from a hidden spill under the third row seat from way back when. If that fender is the source, I'll have to take note of that possibility.... haven't seen that one before. Good catch and mitigation though!
Definitely something spilled back there as the carpet had/has a stain in that area. Despite that, I'm fairly certain it is the fender well. That quarter panel has the rust hole and there seems to be a plug missing inside the wheel well liner.

Fighting a serious case of project creep here. Part of me wants to go ahead and yank the HVAC box, fender, and get the quarter panel addressed now. Other part recognizes I need to save the cash for the house roof that needs done.

Maybe I should drop a few hundred on a decent mig welder and do it myself instead of farming it out. Decisions. Decisions.

termite

Definitely NOT Awesome
Reaction score
Just checked on how the Klean Strip Metal Prep is coming along. Still quite wet contrary to my expectation. @Caman96 , you've used it on your frame, did it stay wet right up until you rinsed? I won't be messing with it again until tomorrow evening but curious what I should expect then.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just checked on how the Klean Strip Metal Prep is coming along. Still quite wet contrary to my expectation. @Caman96 , you've used it on your frame, did it stay wet right up until you rinsed? I won't be messing with it again until tomorrow evening but curious what I should expect then.
Once applied, I didn’t really pay much attention to it.

And the next morning, it looked like this.

Make sure you hose it down and wipe with wet rag.
It turned out ok.

termite

Definitely NOT Awesome
Reaction score
Once applied, I didn’t really pay much attention to it.

And the next morning, it looked like this.

Make sure you hose it down and wipe with wet rag.
It turned out ok.

Gotcha. Wasn't sure if you paid it much mind or not. I just checked while closing it up for the night and getting my sheds closed.