TDC distributor picture?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

onspeed

Reaction score
Anyone have one? I'm wondering if mine is off by a tooth. The rotor was pointed towards the 8, but not dead on, offset a little counterclockwise. It starts and drives around the neighborhood just fine, would being off 1 tooth cause a drastic change in the engine performance? Setting a P1345 code, want to make sure it just needs the CMP adjusted before I go to a shop.

jdyates

Ghetto Racetruck
Reaction score
If im not mistaken, if its off a tooth it wont run at all, or will run very very badly. Then again, im no expert on timing/spark systems. Have you checked your base timing?

onspeed

Reaction score
20 deg advance at idle according to my hptuners. it can't read the cam offset without the 411 PCM upgrade unfortunately.

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You have to have a scanner that can run the crank offset retard test to set the timing on a vortec, no timing pointer on the front cover so using a light isn't possible. If it runs reasonably well then it should be close enough that you only need to have a shop set the final timing with a scanner.

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, a tooth off usually won't start without having the distributor cranked to one side or the other.

slippy3002

Master Machinist
Reaction score
Yeah I think it would run terrible. Think of it this way. Lets say your distributer gear has 8 teeth. Take 360/8=45. One tooth would mean 45° retarded or advanced. Although I dont remember hoe many teeth there are, but its just an example.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2