Tbi to carb swap - what wires are and aren't needed?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sean Buick 76

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That may work for a passenger car but I wouldn't use that in a truck where you may be towing in third.
Good point, but it’s a triple disk lockup converter that can handle big power while locked.

In the past I always ran just a toggle switch with an in line brake switch on my 91. I liked being able to turn the lockup on and off manually.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just didn't know if the codes for the iac, TBI stuff and EGR would throw codes and prevent the fuel pump from giving the carb fuel.
Your fuel pump will work just fine. I ditched the TBI for a Holley Sniper and my check engine light stays on all the time. The replacement gauge cluster I have won't have the bulb in it when I install it.

You WILL have to use some sort of vacumm operated switch to operate that or you WILL burn out the TCC.
The factory ECM controls the TCC just fine without a TBI.

You'll absolutely need something to correct the throttle arm, and then you'll need to be very careful adjusting it. There are a lot of bad videos out there showing tricks for adjusting the TV cable. Since you're changing your geometry, drop the pan and check it the right way. I also highly recommend replacing your TV cable plunger, sleeve, and spring. If I remember right, @NickTransmissions clued me in to that piece, and replacing that plunger is important if your TV pressure is dropping off.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media