Switchable Lean-Burn for highway on tbi 454?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sam454

Reaction score
Hi. I’m wondering if there is a way to switch tunes on the fly in a TBI 454. My idea is to have my regular tuned chip be on most of the time and install a switch that changes it to a secondary lean burn chip for the highway. I figure if I’m not towing anything it would help with efficiency. Is there any way to do this?

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
T
Hi. I’m wondering if there is a way to switch tunes on the fly in a TBI 454. My idea is to have my regular tuned chip be on most of the time and install a switch that changes it to a secondary lean burn chip for the highway. I figure if I’m not towing anything it would help with efficiency. Is there any way to do this?
He factory did that on the 88-91 350 with the SM465 4 speed. There was a switch on the shift tower to signal when shifted into 4th gear. I don't know if they did that with the 454 or not. Although I'm not a huge fan of some of his claims in the past, https://harristuning.com/Tbi/ would at least be able to tell you if is feasible with your 454.

someotherguy

Even more awesome in person
Reaction score
T

He factory did that on the 88-91 350 with the SM465 4 speed. There was a switch on the shift tower to signal when shifted into 4th gear. I don't know if they did that with the 454 or not. Although I'm not a huge fan of some of his claims in the past, https://harristuning.com/Tbi/ would at least be able to tell you if is feasible with your 454.
"Lean cruise" GM called that, I believe. Probably described a bit in the factory service manuals for those years. The SM465 used in those trucks had a different top cover with the provision for that switch.

Richard

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is an emulator that can use an SST 27SF512 which is large enough to load 2 separate .bins that you can switch back and forth. Unfortunately, I can't remember which one it is - maybe Ostrich 2.0 or the APU1 from Moates who went dark a while back but, you may be able to find one for sale or go to BoostedNW and ask them, they have a chip adapter + 2 timer.
www.boostednw.com/

Or, you can set your Hywy-Max MAP in your .bin to a level that will go out of Lean Cruise when you need more power. You can set your AFR levels depending on MAP values too.

Last edited:

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Another note - you can adjust your SA (Spark Advance) based on MAP also.

Here's some of the parameters.
You must be registered for see images attach

Here's an example - 41° Timing and 16.5 Commanded AFR (with a WBO2). Running with no Knock Counts and not overheating in OD.
You must be registered for see images attach