454 tbi loping/surge

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tiger joe

Reaction score
bored at work so figured i would update this. truck has about 200-250 miles on it since it was finally fixed

so the NOS AC Delco distributor has solved 99% of our problems.

the ONLY issue that still exists- we will occasionally get a small loping/hunting at idle. its not a lot, but enough to be noticeable.

so here are 2 ways i have noticed i can almost certainly get it to hunt at idle-

1- truck is kept at my dads house, his garage you pull out and after 100-150 ft its downhill. if you start truck, pull out of the garage to the downhill, then push the clutch in and coast, the idle rpms will vary ever so slightly- i would say less than 100 rpms. its barely noticeable unless you are listening for it

2- after driving the truck, on a hot restart, if you start the truck and go its fine, but if you let it idle for more than about 20 seconds, it will start loping/hunting. its a bit more pronounced that when its cold, say maybe 150-250 rpms.

anyone have any ideas where to turn next? my plan was to maybe try some data logging, i ordered the OBD1 cable. however when i went to get my laptop out, the screen is busted. so thats on hold until i get a new laptop.