Sway bar link help 94 k3500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chris032188

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just replaced my sway bar links but they seem short, the sway bar tilts down probably 20ish degrees sitting really weird on the bushing. I'm new to the Chevy's and tricks in general, maybe this is normal but it doesn't seem right to me. I don't have a frame of reference from how it was because when I got the truck the sway bar bracket was ripped/rusted off the truck which I just fixed.

scott2093

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What's the part number you have installed?
Here's a screenshot off of RA of the Mevotech dimensions..
hopefully that's not the dimensions of the box or something goofy....
I mistakenly ordered the wrong end links for my truck and yeah, that'll make things goofy...

Do you know where your z-height is sitting atm?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-08-17 at 10-07-48 More Information for MEVOTECH GK6428.png
    Screenshot 2024-08-17 at 10-07-48 More Information for MEVOTECH GK6428.png
    135.7 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:

scott2093

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That's the ones in the pic I attached....

hmm

just measured my sleeves and they are 4"
Not sure if that helps since mine is a K1500....
Would guess yours should be the same....

chris032188

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
So after doing some digging on RockAuto I noticed that there are ones that are a little over 10 and 1/2 in. The ones I have are nine. I ordered the 10-in ones which I think will give me enough to level it off. I'm also thinking that's probably why the old bracket was ripped off. They had the wrong size ones on

scott2093

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So after doing some digging on RockAuto I noticed that there are ones that are a little over 10 and 1/2 in. The ones I have are nine.
I think they do make links for lifted trucks. Mine has a 3" body lift and I didn't need anything other than stock. But I don't know how body lifts affect that area if at all.
Curious about how the z-height would affect this though and, if incorrect, could it throw things off. Schurkey seems to know a lot about this and maybe he can shed some light .
I made sure my z-height was dialed in before doing my links but ,again, I'm not clear on if it would even matter......

chris032188

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't think my truck is lifted. It's a utility body I picked up. I'll post up how the links work out. It def seems like mine are short. Idk if the AWD os a big difference then the regular. I believe all k3500 are AWD but rock Auto does have a delineation between AWD and non on some of them. I had trouble getting the old links off which kind of makes sense about them being too short, they were pulling the sway bar down making the bolt being misaligned with the hol e on LCA

JDGMC

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
AWD? If we are talking about a 1994 K3500 then:
If a lift kit is on the vehicle - it certainly does impact geometry/angle and will have impact depending on spring height. You may need adj links

If no lift on vehicle - it may appear short, but it’s not. Did you compress the suspension some to level out the angle?

Stock end links for a K3500
AC Delco kit 45G0012
9 in L 3/8 bolt
4.5 in sleeve

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
"AWD" and "4WD" have different meanings. GMT400 trucks are 4WD, not AWD.

AWD generally means non-switchable, so all four wheels are engaged all the time, usually at 1:1 ratio--no "low range"; and the transfer case typically has a slipper-clutch system or a fluid coupling so that the vehicle doesn't "jump" when turning, and may not send equal torque to front and rear wheels. The system is engineered to be smooth and unobtrusive. The common application is passenger cars and minivans looking for extra traction on snow/ice, or gravel roads.

4WD tends to be switchable, you have the option of selecting 2WD for most driving situations, and 4WD when extra traction is needed. There is "Full Time 4WD", but that tends to be 4WD without the option for 2WD--two ratios in the transfer case (including "low range" for extra power) and no clutch/fluid coupling so the truck steers harder. Torque is split evenly between front and rear.

Another variation is A4WD, the transfer case has a clutch and uses wheel-speed sensors that automatically engage 4WD when the speed sensors detect wheel slippage.