Stuck bleeder screw

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Replace the wheel cylinders.

You can dick with the bleeder screws, penetrating oil, torch, hammer, and so forth. The first thing I try is the longest 3/8 ratchet handle I own, and a six-point socket. The long handle provides leverage, but MUCH more important, it provides control. Support the ratchet head so you're not putting side-force on the bleeder screw. But the wheel cylinders are probably in poor shape anyway, so you might as well just remove 'em.

The question is whether you're gonna need to replace the brake tubes from the rear brake hose outward to the wheel cylinders in the process of changing wheel cylinders. Examples:
You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
One more than before starting , call around make sure wheel cylinders, bleeder screws and brake tubing are available locally or nearby. Chances of breaking or destroying rusty parts good to 100%. Not checking for new parts before work , then needing new, = none available , greater than 1,000%.
Learning by doing, good. Learning from others mistakes golden.

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I recently did rear wheel cylinders on a 1986 Nissan 720 pickup, here in Oregon, where we don't have a rust problem but when age is considered, that explains why I had to do wheel cylinders and those bleeders would not break loose. I knew they would break right off. What @Schurkey and @GoToGuy said make the best sense. Plan on new wheel cylinders.

zodiac572

Reaction score
Thanks for all the help everyone, i did indeed decide to remove the brake cylinders and gonna change the brake pads , already did the lines . Thanks again