Bleeding GMC K3500 Rear drum Brakes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Charkmapman

Reaction score
When I was working on the 13" rear drum brakes on my C2500, I was surprised by just
how tight it was between the backing plate and the leaf springs. No exaggeration, the
working clearance was ~2"? Look how close the drum is to the leaf spring:

You must be registered for see images attach

Given this, everything Schurkey said in reply #5 is the truth. (Fortunately the wheel cylinders
are priced affordably. See attached.) I was lucky in the fact that the PO had replaced all the
original brake line with NiCopp, and by using a suitable flare nut wrench I was able to disconnect
those lines sans mechanical drama.

But if you have aged stock/stock replacement lines into vintage wheel cylinders you need to
plan for replacing everything. You are right, it's tight confines back there -- felt like I working
on an old hotrod where 5 lbs of brakes/suspension was stuffed into a 2 lb bag. :0)

Right-sized flare nut wrench for the lines...and a little luck. Or the perfect excuse to refresh the
brake lines, I guess.
Axle and diff have been off vehicle and new brakes, cylinders, and lines . Bleeding time. Stupid tight fit. Thank ypu.

Charkmapman

Reaction score
When I was working on the 13" rear drum brakes on my C2500, I was surprised by just
how tight it was between the backing plate and the leaf springs. No exaggeration, the
working clearance was ~2"? Look how close the drum is to the leaf spring:

You must be registered for see images attach

Given this, everything Schurkey said in reply #5 is the truth. (Fortunately the wheel cylinders
are priced affordably. See attached.) I was lucky in the fact that the PO had replaced all the
original brake line with NiCopp, and by using a suitable flare nut wrench I was able to disconnect
those lines sans mechanical drama.

But if you have aged stock/stock replacement lines into vintage wheel cylinders you need to
plan for replacing everything. You are right, it's tight confines back there -- felt like I working
on an old hotrod where 5 lbs of brakes/suspension was stuffed into a 2 lb bag. :0)

Right-sized flare nut wrench for the lines...and a little luck. Or the perfect excuse to refresh the
brake lines, I guess.
Axle and diff have been off vehicle and new brakes, cylinders, and lines . Bleeding time. Stupid tight fit. Thank you.