Still air in brakes after bleeding for a week

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MountainDont

Reaction score
My helpers have given up. They say that there is no way my brake system still has air after doing the procedure so many times.

We did 4 brakes in order, then the ABS Bleed with the cheapest scantool on Amazon. The Foxwell NT630 Plus. It really seems to do a bunch of bleeding. And we bled 3 quarts of fluid through this over the last 2 weeks.

But there is still actual air. Here is a tidbit that has us stumped:
1. We can get the air out of the lines, which mostly shows up in the rear. And then, if I start the truck for even 2 seconds, there is air in the lines at the rear adjacent to the bleeder valve! (We are wondering how it gets there so quick)
2. We keep setting the red Brake warning light. The process to clear it entails having us start the truck and slowly pressing the brake until the light goes out. I can feel that the combination valve/switch (the part that sets the light) is actuated when a pulse is fed back to the pedal.
3. We have found no leaks of any kind.

My conclusion is that we have not fully bled it ... but why do we keep seeing more air, especially when we start the truck? The pedal is super-squishy, but of course, we have actual air in the system still. Should I start replacing the rear brake cylinders and the master cylinders? (My theory is that the only way for air to suck in is at a master or slave cylinder. The booster is dry - no brake fluid inside it.)

We have bled at least 6 times all around, and ran the ABS bleed 4 times.

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Before you do the ABS bleed, what is your step by step process for the wheels? What, if any tools are you using when doing this?

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
WHAT VEHICLE? The '98 C1500 in your signature? WHAT BRAKE OPTION CODE? Kinda guessing JB5.

We did 4 brakes in order, then the ABS Bleed with the cheapest scantool on Amazon. The Foxwell NT630 Plus. It really seems to do a bunch of bleeding. And we bled 3 quarts of fluid through this over the last 2 weeks.
GM recommendation is to bleed an entire gallon. See attachment.

(I think this is excessive, but I'm not the one writing the procedure.) Remember, the GM procedure assumes that the master cylinder has no air to begin with. This is not always a good assumption.

HOW ARE YOU BLEEDING THE BRAKES? Pressure bleeder? Vacuum bleeding? Reverse-injection bleeding? Gravity bleeding? Two-man "pump-the-pedal-and-hold" bleeding?

But there is still actual air. Here is a tidbit that has us stumped:
1. We can get the air out of the lines, which mostly shows up in the rear. And then, if I start the truck for even 2 seconds, there is air in the lines at the rear adjacent to the bleeder valve! (We are wondering how it gets there so quick)
Best guess is that the rear wheel cylinders are leaking air into the system. Wheel cylinders are good at keeping fluid in, but not-so-good about keeping air out.

2. We keep setting the red Brake warning light. The process to clear it entails having us start the truck and slowly pressing the brake until the light goes out. I can feel that the combination valve/switch (the part that sets the light) is actuated when a pulse is fed back to the pedal.
The Safety Switch is activated when there's a pressure imbalance between the front brake hydraulic system, and the rear brake hydraulic system. Which happens when one or the other systems has air in it, or a failed seal somewhere including in the master cylinder.

3. We have found no leaks of any kind.
Well, no external fluid leaks. You've obviously got air leaks into the system, and--maybe--internal fluid leak(s) past the cup(s) in the master cylinder.

My conclusion is that we have not fully bled it ... but why do we keep seeing more air, especially when we start the truck?
More air due to starting the engine is new to me. I have no idea.

The pedal is super-squishy, but of course, we have actual air in the system still. Should I start replacing the rear brake cylinders and the master cylinders? (My theory is that the only way for air to suck in is at a master or slave cylinder.
I would start with the rear wheel cylinders, AFTER making sure the rear brakes are properly adjusted. If these are the craptastic 254mm (10") leading-trailing shoe drums as are typical on 1500s, they're almost always way out of adjustment because nobody uses the park-brake; and that's what keeps 'em adjusted.

If that doesn't do it, you may need to either bench-bleed, or replace and bench-bleed the master cylinder.

I'm well-known for hating on the leading-trailing shoe drums, AND on the 8.5" ring gear 1500 axle assembly. You could scrap the leading/trailing rear drums AND the weakass axle by swapping in a same-gear-ratio 6-lug C2500 axle assembly, which would be the MUCH stronger 9.5" ring gear with 11.x Duo-Servo rear drums. Downside is that your 5-lug wheels won't fit the 6-lug axle shafts. You can use the 6-lug wheels from the donor vehicle, or get 5-lug axle shafts for the replacement axle. A conversion U-joint, differential gasket, and four U-bolts and nuts would finish that axle swap. You'd still need to assure the replacement axle's brakes and axle seals were in good condition, and you'd want to remove the differential cover to inspect the gears, and put fresh gear lube in it.

We have bled at least 6 times all around, and ran the ABS bleed 4 times.
Buy a gallon of brake fluid, follow the instructions in the attachment.

Attachments

• 1990s_GM_Light_Truck_Kelsey_Hayes_ABS_Brake_Bleeding_Procedure_Ref_Cards.pdf
    130.2 KB · Views: 33

MountainDont

Reaction score
WHAT VEHICLE? The '98 C1500 in your signature? WHAT BRAKE OPTION CODE? Kinda guessing JB5.

GM recommendation is to bleed an entire gallon. See attachment.

(I think this is excessive, but I'm not the one writing the procedure.) Remember, the GM procedure assumes that the master cylinder has no air to begin with. This is not always a good assumption.

HOW ARE YOU BLEEDING THE BRAKES? Pressure bleeder? Vacuum bleeding? Reverse-injection bleeding? Gravity bleeding? Two-man "pump-the-pedal-and-hold" bleeding?

Best guess is that the rear wheel cylinders are leaking air into the system. Wheel cylinders are good at keeping fluid in, but not-so-good about keeping air out.

The Safety Switch is activated when there's a pressure imbalance between the front brake hydraulic system, and the rear brake hydraulic system. Which happens when one or the other systems has air in it, or a failed seal somewhere including in the master cylinder.

Well, no external fluid leaks. You've obviously got air leaks into the system, and--maybe--internal fluid leak(s) past the cup(s) in the master cylinder.

More air due to starting the engine is new to me. I have no idea.

I would start with the rear wheel cylinders, AFTER making sure the rear brakes are properly adjusted. If these are the craptastic 254mm (10") leading-trailing shoe drums as are typical on 1500s, they're almost always way out of adjustment because nobody uses the park-brake; and that's what keeps 'em adjusted.

If that doesn't do it, you may need to either bench-bleed, or replace and bench-bleed the master cylinder.

I'm well-known for hating on the leading-trailing shoe drums, AND on the 8.5" ring gear 1500 axle assembly. You could scrap the leading/trailing rear drums AND the weakass axle by swapping in a same-gear-ratio 6-lug C2500 axle assembly, which would be the MUCH stronger 9.5" ring gear with 11.x Duo-Servo rear drums. Downside is that your 5-lug wheels won't fit the 6-lug axle shafts. You can use the 6-lug wheels from the donor vehicle, or get 5-lug axle shafts for the replacement axle. A conversion U-joint, differential gasket, and four U-bolts and nuts would finish that axle swap. You'd still need to assure the replacement axle's brakes and axle seals were in good condition, and you'd want to remove the differential cover to inspect the gears, and put fresh gear lube in it.

Buy a gallon of brake fluid, follow the instructions in the attachment.
I was following this procedure* already, thank you for confirming this. JB5 brakes, C1500, 1998 as signature indicates.

So that means that I had enlisted two of my closest buds to help me with the 2-man procedure. We did it in the order stated in the manual. We always get to the Pedal Feel and it's ok-ish to squishy, but when the engine is started, it is squishy and we can find more air to bleed.

I have not used a special tool at the 4WAL as at least one service manual says to use. I figured that this might be part of a problem, but not necessarily causing more air to get in. I've read on the forums to get the special tool in place to bleed better/faster. (CAN ANYONE confirm if there is just one special tool needed, left/driver side of the Kelsey Hayes?)

As for the rear brakes, the sad/funny thing is that I am suspicious that not only do I have a wimpy 10-inch leading/trailing brake, but it would appear that someone possibly swapped in an old axle and/or brakes. I get this from the fact that the rear bleeder screws have SAE threads, which I've read means 1970s wheel cylinders. They were 3/8-24 and 1.3 inches long -- like Ford cylinders or really old Chevy. Weird to find this out after seeing how every parts counter would get us the metric ones with a different design.

Perhaps the Red Brake Warning Light is a key to my problem -- it seems to be an indicator of (1) air near that valve, so the bubbling causes it to trip all the time, or (2) the rear cylinder(s) leaks invisibly and makes the light turn on due to low pressure at the rear. I think (1) is more plausible, putting the culprit inside the 4WAL ABS controller or the master cylinder. But since so much air is in the lines after restarting the engine, it is easy to set this light. So we learned to bleed first and test for squishy pedal 2nd.

I'm ok-ish keeping this rearend and brakes, making it sort of like an S10 for heftiness. I have a Super Duty for when I need a big truck. I just need to get it running for light town use.

I might be stuck with telling my buddies that we need to keep bleeding this bad boy. I guess I could replace the two brake cylinders and buy a drum kit while I'm there ... my theory is that if there is air sucking in, it's one of the cylinders, master or slave I cannot tell.

Now, early on my buddy did a vacuum (one-man) bleed and got the old, trashy fluid cleared up and thought he got the air out. But GM says not to do that, and I told him thanks, but we need to keep trying the 2-man by-the-book. And I kept telling them to Trust the Process. But all 3 of us are beyond hoping and trusting in it and would be shocked if it finally bled out.

One side brake shoe is good and tight, while the driver side seems to be out-of-adjustment to me. None of us really know how to adjust it, though I figured we could guess while the drum is off and get the shoes a tad bit closer to the drum like the passenger side.

*Note: there had to be a slight modification to the GM procedure. The rear cannot be bled in the way stated. The pedal does not go to the floor. So I would carefully pump a little (not stomping) and then bleed the rear as a 2-man procedure like old school and have them shut the valve when they saw that flow had mostly stopped. When bleeding the front, the pedal acts just like the PDF says, and I followed it to a tee with full stroke to the floor. If by saying this, you deem it bad, then please say so. Perhaps this means that my proportioning valve or master cylinder is messed up.

Last edited:

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
JB5 brakes, C1500, 1998

We always get to the Pedal Feel and it's ok-ish to squishy, but when the engine is started, it is squishy and we can find more air to bleed.
You're pumping more air into the system somehow.

I have not used a special tool at the 4WAL as at least one service manual says to use.
No special tools needed in '98, except for the scan tool. You're using the second page of the attachment I posted earlier, and you're using the two-person procedure.

(CAN ANYONE confirm if there is just one special tool needed, left/driver side of the Kelsey Hayes?)
NONE. IF (big IF) you were using a pressure bleeder instead of the "two person method", you might need one of the J-39177 tools, but you're not pressure bleeding.

As for the rear brakes, the sad/funny thing is that I am suspicious that not only do I have a wimpy 10-inch leading/trailing brake, but it would appear that someone possibly swapped in an old axle and/or brakes. I get this from the fact that the rear bleeder screws have SAE threads, which I've read means 1970s wheel cylinders.
Post a photo of the brakes with the drum removed. In-focus, nicely cropped, and resized as needed.

Is the adjuster at the bottom of the shoes? Or just under the wheel cylinder, above the axle shaft? If the adjuster is at the bottom, someone has changed the rear brakes, perhaps by changing the entire axle. The crappy JB5 rear brakes have the adjuster above the axle shaft.

Aftermarket wheel cylinders may not have the same bleeder-screw thread sizes as the OEM cylinders. As long as they fit the backing plate, have the right thread size and sealing taper for the brake tube, and have the same bore size and length, they should work OK.

But I am suspicious of the brake tubing where it screws into the cylinders. Mis-matched SAE--Metric threads there? Incorrect flare on the tubing to match the wheel cylinder?

Perhaps the Red Brake Warning Light is a key to my problem -- it seems to be an indicator of (1) air near that valve, so the bubbling causes it to trip all the time, or (2) the rear cylinder(s) leaks invisibly and makes the light turn on due to low pressure at the rear. I think (1) is more plausible, putting the culprit inside the 4WAL ABS controller or the master cylinder. But since so much air is in the lines after restarting the engine, it is easy to set this light. So we learned to bleed first and test for squishy pedal 2nd.
You're getting air out of the rear wheel cylinders after starting the engine. Don't be suspicious of the master cylinder or ABS unit at the other end of the plumbing. The air must be entering near or at the rear wheel cylinders. Maybe you've got metric threads on the brake tube nut, and SAE threads at the wheel cylinder. Maybe the wheel cylinder cups are worn.

Don't forget that there's two more reasons that the BRAKE light could be illuminated.

I'm ok-ish keeping this rearend and brakes, making it sort of like an S10 for heftiness. I have a Super Duty for when I need a big truck. I just need to get it running for light town use.
The 8.5" "Ten bolt" rear axle is not really up to "light town" use. The OEM differential cases--open or Gov-Bomb--explode for no real reason. But Y' gotta do what Y' gotta do.

I might be stuck with telling my buddies that we need to keep bleeding this bad boy.
Of course you need to keep bleeding. AFTER you fix the air leak.

I guess I could replace the two brake cylinders
Good idea.

and buy a drum kit while I'm there
Why? Something else wrong with the rear brakes?

... my theory is that if there is air sucking in, it's one of the cylinders, master or slave I cannot tell.
Again--you're seeing the air at the rear wheel cylinders. Look there first.

One side brake shoe is good and tight, while the driver side seems to be out-of-adjustment to me. None of us really know how to adjust it, though I figured we could guess while the drum is off and get the shoes a tad bit closer to the drum like the passenger side.
Yup. Find the star-wheel, turn it out until there's some (but not too much) drag on the drum when it's reinstalled.

*Note: there had to be a slight modification to the GM procedure... ...If by saying this, you deem it bad, then please say so.
I don't think that's a big deal.

Last edited:

KansasOBS

Not Awesome
Reaction score
I don't want to get involved, but just throwing this out there. In simple terms it is tripped through pressure differential. The proximity to the valve has no relation to the light coming on.

Schurkey basically said the same above, but wasn't directed at this. Dont get hung up.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A couple years ago my race team was racing at Sebring. We had a brake hiccup, so we started bleeding the brakes. After an hour of bleeding we still had air coming out, and then we realized the person keeping the master cylinder full wasn't actually keeping it full - BMWs have a cup inside the master cylinder that you have to remove when bleeding.

Switch places with the guy keeping the master cylinder full and see if your problem goes away.

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
What made you start bleeding the system? Did you just get this truck and it had squishy brakes from the beginning?

I ask because somebody could have put the wheel cylinder(s) in upside down. Make sure the bleeder is on top of the hose inlet.