Steering shaft plastic cover

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Carlaisle

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Another random small question on the steering topic, could I just use clear vinyl fuel hose with appropriate sized hose clamps as a replacement for the rubber power steering return hose? The original is leaking slightly.
No. No clear vinyl hose will not be rated for the temperature and may be susceptible to chemical break down over time, as well. If the leak is on the open end, a new/additional clamp may solve the problem. If the leak is around the crimp, you need a new one. If the leak is around the fitting, tighten it. The hard line could also be rusting through, too, although I haven't seen that on these trucks. If that's the case, it's time for a new one. Looks to be about a $10 part. Use the right thing and be done with it.

CumminsFever

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Our local Napa has what they call "power steering return hose", it's like fuel hose but rated for higher pressure. While the return line may not see much pressure, it can get sent some pressure spurts, especially in hydro-boost applications. Clear vinyl hose will not do. It will deteriorate rapidly and cause further headache. Use a good quality fuel hose or something rated for oil/fuel.