Steering shaft plastic cover

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

slow_c1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hello all, the plastic cover (not sure what else to call it) on my trucks steering shaft broke and I can’t find any replacement parts for it. It broke in the spot where it fits around that one 18mm fitting so it doesn’t stay in place anymore. Is it really that necessary for it to be replaced/ repaired so it stays in place? Can I just remove it and be fine? 1996 5.7. Thanks

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    281.5 KB · Views: 15

EJ_74

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's not absolutely necessary but it's nice to have. Keeps things cleaner around the shaft components and prevents things getting tangled on the shaft

slow_c1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok, I’ll probably just end up ziptying the shaft right before the cover so it cant slide up.

Another random small question on the steering topic, could I just use clear vinyl fuel hose with appropriate sized hose clamps as a replacement for the rubber power steering return hose? The original is leaking slightly.

KansasOBS

Not Awesome
Reaction score
It's not absolutely necessary but it's nice to have. Keeps things cleaner around the shaft components and prevents things getting tangled on the shaft

Ive always disliked them in the fact they just build up oil and stuff on the inside, and pretty soon the rag joint is a mushy mess. Never seen squarebodies with such bad rag joints as I have OBS stucks.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ive always disliked them in the fact they just build up oil and stuff on the inside, and pretty soon the rag joint is a mushy mess. Never seen squarebodies with such bad rag joints as I have OBS stucks.
No rag joint on my Express van but the universal joints and steering shaft were perfect under the vans factory rubbery like shaft cover when I changed the gear box. If the rag joint was coated in any kind of fluid long enough to break it down and turn it gooey it was from neglect to repair the leaks somewhere.

slow_c1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Another random small question on the steering topic, could I just use clear vinyl fuel hose with appropriate sized hose clamps as a replacement for the rubber power steering return hose? The original is leaking slightly
Does anyone have any input on my question from earlier? This small PS fluid leak is kinda the reason I was even looking in this area of the engine bay

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Does anyone have any input on my question from earlier? This small PS fluid leak is kinda the reason I was even looking in this area of the engine bay

Do not do that, go buy a real power steering return line. Vinyl hose will get very soft with just under hood heat, never mind with hot oil running through it .