Steering gearbox suggestions?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MrobsMan

Reaction score
I’m looking for a new steering gearbox for my 1994 k1500 I’ve been looking at a new lares it’s within my budget but not sure how well they hold up … has anyone used lares? Are they any good?

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does it leak? Reseal it, and flush the fluid.

Is the steering sloppy? Replace the rag joint, (preferably with a U-jointed steering shaft) then perform the two steering-gear adjustments. Then flush the fluid.

Unless there's something seriously wrong with the box you have...it's probably better than the parts-store "rebuilts" or Chinese "new" replacements.

CumminsFever

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Does it leak? Reseal it, and flush the fluid.

Is the steering sloppy? Replace the rag joint, (preferably with a U-jointed steering shaft) then perform the two steering-gear adjustments. Then flush the fluid.

Unless there's something seriously wrong with the box you have...it's probably better than the parts-store "rebuilts" or Chinese "new" replacements.
I second Schurkey's advice.
Stay away from parts store reman, unless you don't mind doing the job a few times to get a "good" one.
I personally went with borgeson quick-ratio. Yup, far out of budget. But it was bolt-on and go, no problems to report.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Once you include shipping and core charges, you're paying over $500 for a box. If you can get away with resealing yours, do it. I did everything, but still needed a steering box.

When you reinstall your box or install a new one, the bleeding procedure is crucial. I originally tried rebuilding my own box and didn't follow the bleeding procedures - I'm used to imports where you just bolt it on, swing the wheel a few times and roll. I blew the seal right out the bottom.

How do I purge air, or bleed, my steering gear box system?​

1. After installing the gearbox, fill the system with fluid.
  2. Raise the front wheels off the ground, DO NOT start the vehicle.
  3. Work the steering wheel back and forth, lock to lock, 15-20 times.
  4. Leave the vehicle sit (overnight is best) AT LEAST 2 hours
  5. Top the pump reservoir off again.
  6. Work the steering wheel back and forth again 7-10 times
  7. Have a person in the vehicle and another at the pump reservoir with a container of fluid & funnel ready to pour if necessary.
  8. Instruct the person in the vehicle to start the engine. As soon as this happens, if the fluid level drops, be ready to pour in more fluid. The level must be kept at an almost full level or it will suck in air again.
  9. If this procedure is followed properly, the air problem will be solved.
From https://www.redheadsteeringgears.com/faq

sneakingfart

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just replaced my steering box with a RedHead remanufactured one, based on the forum reviews. I had significant slop in the steering, probably 3 inches of free play. I had replaced the rag joint in the past, which helped, but the steering box was also loose. The steering is like 95% perfect now. It doesn't compare to some of my other cars in my signature, but this is a 25 year old truck, I don't expect it to steer like a track car. The main thing I noticed outside of significantly less slop, is actually much tighter steering. Like almost too stiff. Don't know if that's how it's supposed to be, or if it'll loosen up over time, or if RedHead set it that way. I also replaced the PS pump with a new Delco one, new fluid, and the EVO system is working properly. But steering is noticeably stiffer compared to the old box.

JDGMC

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They do come tight. How many miles since the installation? They recommend something like 500-700 miles for a break-in. If it’s still tight, call them and they may have you back off the adj nut a tiny bit provided that is indeed the issue.
I installed one recently on my 91 GMC C2500(8600 GVW). I had two problems, poor return and tight steering. With the front end and steering linkage completely replaced down to bolts and nuts, I went through many procedures to isolate the area that was likely suspect for my steering wheel return issue. It came down to the steering pump. It was a new Reman Dorman with 75 miles on it (AC Delco was back ordered). I checked the pressures (including end-to-end stops). In spec according to the GM manual), but the needle was bouncing quite a bit - not by much. So I pulled it and ordered a GM REMAN pump from a GM dealer and installed it. The Dorman pump was the culprit for my steering return issue.

The steering was too tight after the break-in period (700 miles), so Redhead gave me the go-ahead to back off the adj nut a tiny bit after answering a few questions. It’s now perfect for how I like it. You must contact them to preserve the warranty before making any adjustments. Good luck.

sneakingfart

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks, I don't think it's been quite 700 miles yet. But it's good to know I can contact redhead if it is still necessary after the break in period. I do think it has become a bit easier to turn as time went on.