So, how bad did I overload my box truck?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

big bird

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the amount of stupid is proportional to how well it stops when you jam on the brakes. When I was mildly overloaded, my braking performance was surprisingly bad so I gave myself a medium stupid for that.
We completely rebuilt the rear brakes including new drums, shows, springs and cylinders before we began the Odyssey.

It now has a warped front rotor so we get the "chug chug chug" brake effect at low speeds. However, I don't think I've ever driven a big old truck that didn't do that.

Had a semi whip out from an exit he accidentally took crossing right in front of me once, I was looking at the side of his trailer head on. Was in the rain just outside Cincinnati. Antilock kicked in. Wasn't great for my heart for my heart rate, but we had good brakes and were ok.

big bird

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I could be wrong but I'm suspecting somewhere in the neighborhood of low 10K. A build report on the VIN would be pretty specific.

Richard
I'll pull the glove box info later today.

I'm going to make another post about my cat "fix", I believe I've earned my doctorate in redneckery now.

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
Thats not too bad. I'm sure lots of people are driving from one camp ground to another regularly with an in-bed camper and pulling a boat without trailer brakes that weigh more than that overall.

junkyardjack

Reaction score
Did you think about when turning the load grows outside the turn circle? Many long loads have caused property damage, wrecked themselves, even caused a death when the load swung into the next lane over. Not brilliant.
About the same brain power as the drivers don't check load height and drive into overpass or parking garage. :think:
Yes, the load swing not much of an issue, very rural setting open roads wide corners

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
'98 Chevy 3500 2wd dually, 5 speed manual, 5.7 vortec. Cab and chassis with a box.

We just finished our final trip from Alabama to Pennsylvania. Jammed every last thing into the box, full to the roof.

Passenger side cat was plugged so I had to cut it out the other day and patch before the trip, that's another long story. Trip had to happen and be done moving.

I knew I was heavy, was able to keep it at least 45mph on bad hills by going down to third. One bad hill in West Virginia required 2nd in the truck lane, had a semi driver in front that didn't seem to know what he was doing.

Most of the time I was constantly jumping between 4th and 5th. Pedal on the floor almost all the time. My right calf is sore because I kept it floored literally hours at a time. 55-65mph most of the way. 70mph occasionally on a downhill.

Kid was dying to use a truck scale so we went through a CAT scale for fun.

Gross weight was 13420 lbs.

How stupid was this?

I've pulled ~4000lb Camaro on a ~2200# U-haul trailer behind my K1500 6210# Suburban, w/ L31 4L60E, JB6 brakes, 3.73rear, 265/65-18 tires (tach is ~2200 at 70MPH in OD). I was running in "D", 55-60MPH.

The weights I quoted are pretty close; I've scaled the Suburban and the Camaro separately, and the trailer weight is U-Haul's spec.

The trailer had surge brakes so stopping wasn't a huge concern. You have the benefit of bigger brakes.

Keeping it moving "took time". I was mostly on level ground, traveling 90mi across northern IL.

Reaction score
iT depends, do you have a air to fluid cooler in front of the radiator my 98 Tahoe with HD trailer package has an engine oil cooler and an air to fluid cooler, My 93 one ton dually 454 auto had neither, and tranny overheated easily. I had a 88 Pace arrow on a chevy chassis and pulled an enclosed trailer that weighed 9,000# I put dual tranny coolers on it and never had an issue. What is the gross combined weight rating (Loaded truck and trailer) I expect you were under that. That being said full throttle for long periods probably not the best. Gear down and slow down next time, your truck will appreciate it.