Slow Roller

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nineno

Reaction score
Hello friends. I’m back after a prolonged hiatus due to some account trouble. (Shout-out to the admins that were able to explain what happened and fix the situation. Thanks, admins!)

A couple of months back I bit the bullet and purchased a set of Hooker cast iron manifolds with silver ceramic coating, part number 8527-1HRK. I bought the manifolds direct from Holley in late April when they were on sale for $308 (about $180 off MSRP) and only a few bucks more than the non-coated (raw cast iron) version.

Here's a fluff/marketing piece from Holley related to the SBC cast Hooker manifolds from when they were introduced a few years ago, if anyone wants to know more about them.

I’ll spare everyone the long story and just say that Holley had to ship me 3 sets of manifolds, over the course of 3 weeks, before they got me all or the right parts, undamaged.

I think the manifolds themselves look pretty good, installed.

You must be registered for see images attach

Over the Independence Day weekend my good friend helped me install the powertrain (among several other projects that I'll detail in subsequent posts). The manifolds fit the truck chassis pretty well. If anyone else is considering using the Hooker cast iron manifolds, I believe the exhaust-side faces on the Gen 2 LT1 are about 1” narrower (overall width) than typical production small block heads, and the ports sit a bit higher (1/2”, perhaps) in the head as well. So, if you’re installing a more conventional small block in a GMT400 application, the Hooker manifolds might touch the passenger side rear upper control arm pivot. (See below.) There seems to be ample clearance everywhere else.

I will admit, the hardware, gaskets, and collector flanges provided with the manifolds leave a bit to be desired, but I’m happy enough with the manifolds to stick with them. And, while it was frustrating to have to return the first 2 sets to Holley, the customer service staff was helpful and polite.

The supplied bolts were run-of-the-mill grade 5 hex head bolts (visible in the first picture) and the points of the hex interfere with the casting at the trailing bolt location on both (left and right) center runner. This was all especially inexplicable because the manifold casting is clearly relieved most places for bolt head and socket clearance. I guess we'll have to assume that providing clearance at that location would have resulted in a bump inside the exhaust runner that was deemed unacceptable - or something like that.

My solution for the bolt fitment situation was to use studs that I had around from another project, and purchase some ARP compact-head 12-point nuts for all 12 exhaust fasteners. These just fit the manifolds at the trailing central runner location, and have ample clearance at the other 5 locations on both sides. (In the second picture you can see the middle 2 nuts/studs installed, temporarily.) Clearly, I could have just put compact-head fasteners at the two problematic locations, but vanity prevailed and I decided to match all the manifolds fasteners.

As for exhaust port alignment, I’ll ruin the surprise and say that the manifolds match the heads very, very well. When I was evaluating headers and manifolds, none of the options provided dimensional information, which seemed odd. When I bought the manifolds, all I could do was compare the product pictures to the ports on the heads. They looked pretty close, so I crossed my fingers and clicked "Buy."

Below is a bit more information about the exhaust ports, because I never really found a single-source for useful information elsewhere.

Holley offers two exhaust ports on the Hooker cast small block manifolds: typical square ports with rounded corners, and the manifold set that I bought which is described as having a "raised D-ports."

The Hooker cast manifold "raised D-Ports" (left) and Gen II LT1 exhaust ports (right) look like this:

Several Gen II owner/enthusiasts simply call these "D-ports," but they're often told that these are not true D-Ports, and that a true (Chevy) D-Ports are taller. However, most people can agree that the stock Gen II exhaust ports are not round, not square, and are shaped like a D laying on its flat side.

I did find one helpful article about various port shapes. The article suggests that "D-Shaped Port" is the proper (or, at least accepted) name for this exhaust port geometry, while "D-Port" is a specific geometry that is significantly taller than it is wide. (In addition to port shape, there is also the location of the bolt hole, relative to the height of the port, of course.)

There was conversation around D-Ports on a Pontiac GTO forum, as well. I believe this is because Pontiac blocks had heads that had symmetric (or "Siamese") D-shaped ports, where the flat sides faced each other. There is a picture of the Pontiac-specific D-Port in the forum. The same picture also shows something referred to as a "Round Port" that looks very similar to the OE Gen 2 exhaust ports. Dimensions aren't provided for either type of port, unfortunately.

While this should not be used for any crucial performance or fitment decisions, here is a basic drawing showing the approximate dimensions of the Gen 2 LT1 exhaust ports (which matches the ports on the Hooker 'raised D-Port' exhaust manifolds). The minor (lower) radius corners are approximately 1/4" and the major (upper) radius corners are approximately 0.66" by my measurements.

I'll wrap this up, but since it was mentioned in the prior post, I should certainly acknowledge the issue of engine performance.
Check out L31Max's budget build. He just proved that headers will out perform even good aftermarket iron logs.
I completely agree that headers provide more performance potential than even good aftermarket exhaust logs.
So, I have knowingly made a choice that does not maximize the performance of my 1995 LT1. This may be an unforgivable sin for many folks, and I can accept that, too.

However, the Hooker cast manifolds have significantly larger runners than the OE 1994-1996 F-body manifolds, and are roughly equivalent to the center-dump 1994-1996 Corvette manifolds. Sure, the Hooker manifold runner-lengths are not tuned; they're just designed to come together at the chosen collector point. But the Hooker collector outlet is designed to fit 2.5" exhaust pipe (3/8" larger than the F-Body manifolds and equivalent to the Vette configurations). Maybe I'm leaving some horsepower on the table, but if maximum power were crucial, I never would have started with a bone-stock 29 year old engine. The Hooker manifolds fit the engine and chassis nicely, the exhaust leaks that can plague headers shouldn't be an issue, and it should be relatively straight forward to plumb the rest of the exhaust system. So the trade-offs I made were acceptable - at least to me.

I'm also struck by the reality that my 2019 model year daily driver sedan is much faster, better handling, better stopping, and more comfortable than this (currently) 35 year old truck will ever be. With that said, a 300hp (+/-) Gen 2 LT1 makes about 3x the power of the V6 the truck was built with and 2x the power of 1989 5.7L/350 V8. All-in-all, the truck will still be pretty well motivated.

I hope there is some useful (or at least entertaining) information in here for someone.
In my next post or two I'll give an update on the engine/trans install, and swapping out the rear axle that took place over the Independence Day weekend.

nineno

Reaction score
Here’s a run-down of my Independence Day truck activities.

My good friends (Brett & Angie) were in town for the holiday weekend. Brett had previously helped with the frame notch and a couple other projects shortly after I acquired the truck. As luck (or lack-there-of) would have it, it was extremely hot and humid (upper-90s, 75%+ humidity, 105+ heat index) during the working hours the entire time they were here…but we persevered.
I’ve broken the posts up by day to keep each post manageable.

July 4th
We started by cleaning up the frame behind the cab and throwing another coat of chassis black on the frame and installing the bolt-in frame pieces.
(It’s unclear if these do much, but I have them, they’re cleaned up and painted, so why not bolt them in?)

From there, we turned out attention to installing the engine/transmission. This wasn’t particularly difficult, but I will admit that it took a couple of attempts. In short, the Gen 2 small block doesn’t have great options for attaching hoist chains without unbolting the intake manifold, which I wanted to avoid. After repositioning the rear chains once, the engine went in pretty smoothly.

As noted in my last post, it was a relief that the Hooker manifolds fit. I began having serious doubts when reviewing trucks in the salvage yard and the slight kink in the stock V8 passenger side manifold to clear the rear pivot mount for the upper control arm. Here are two examples I happened across in the salvage yard about a month ago that got me concerned.

While this is the closest point with the Hooker manifolds, there is still sufficient clearance (3/4”) as shown in the last post.

I was also happy – though perhaps not surprised – that the OE Corvette oil pan fit the chassis with clearance in all directions. If anything, I could run a significantly larger pan if I want.

We took care of a few other small projects, but began wrapping up around 3:30pm so that we had ample time to get cleaned up, grill, and make it out for fireworks. Our timing was perfect because we had a short but fairly intense rain shower from 4:30 to 6pm. We didn’t get a hole cut for the transmission shift mechanism, so the transmission tailshaft sat on a floor jack overnight.

Once the tools were put away, Brett and I spent a little while looking at the rear axle. We planned to swap it out during the weekend, but it did not appear that the original axle could be rotated forward (pinion down) enough to achieve a remotely acceptable driveline angle. The factory spring perch would crash into the saddle provided with the DJM flip kit before the pinion could be rotated to the same angle of inclination as the transmission output shaft.

In the end, we both sort of shrugged and decided we’d figure it out with the axle we were swapping in. (I’ll circle back to this topic on the July 6th installment.)

nineno

Reaction score
July 5th
Friday, we began the day by punching out a hole for the shift mechanism. This wasn’t as clean a process as I would have hoped for, but after a few 1/8-inch "exploratory holes" we felt we were in the right place and cut a rectangular opening. The resulting cutout (approximately 3-1/2" x 3") is decent, but will need some adjustment.

With the hole in the floor, we were able to raise the transmission up the last inch or so on the floor jack, which allowed us to figure out what we needed to do to the transmission cross member. It turns out, the answer was "not much." We elongated the mounting slot in the cross member by about 1/2" (towards the front), cleaned the surface rust off the top, hit it with primer and semi-gloss black, and after it was dried it slipped right into place and used the rear-most factory frame rail mounting holes.

Once I purchase a trim ring and figure out the exact shift lever positioning, I’ll open the hole in the floor up a bit more so there is ample clearance for the shift mechanism. Right now, the lever touches the front left corner of the hole in 1st and 3rd gear. A minor and temporary problem.

With the bed off the truck and the chassis paint dry, we ran the rear brake line. The pre-bent stainless lines needed to be massaged into place, but it wasn't awful. This was the same as when I installed the front lines a few weeks earlier.

Perhaps the most useful bit of information that I can share about brake lines is the line clamps that I used.
• For the front brake lines I used McMaster-Carr 3/16” galvanized steel loop clamps, item number 8863T23.
• For the rear brake line I used McMaster-Carr 1/4” galvanized steel loop clamps, item number 8863T12.

The dimension from the centerline of the mounting loop to the mounting hole (1/2") for both of these clamps is pretty close to the dimension of the original plastic clips (which appear to dissolve in the atmosphere after about 30 years - ha-ha). The mounting hole for these clamps did need to be opened up just a touch (1/32”) for the bolt to pass through easily. A step drill bit on the leg with the round hole and a couple seconds with a Dremel on the leg with the oval hole was all it took.

Overall, I’m very pleased with these as replacements to the OE plastic clips. (I also have some leftovers…) Here's are a couple close-ups of how they fit on the front brake lines, just for reference. (The black oxide coated stainless button head cap screws are another vanity choice. I didn't want the flange-head bolt overhanging the brand new clamp.)

Friday was a short – but productive – day because we had plans to meet friends in Charlottesville, VA at 4pm. We wrapped things up around 1:30pm so we had time to eat, get cleaned up, and drive 90-minutes to meet friends at South Street Brewery. (If anyone passes through Charlottesville, VA, South Street was very enjoyable – especially the air conditioning!)

Next up, July 6th summary...and some axle discoveries and questions.

nineno

Reaction score
July 6th
Saturday was our longest day, and our work was almost exclusively focused on the rear axle. Unfortunately, I have the fewest pictures to share
The truck was built as a 4.3L V6 with a 700R4 transmission and axle RPO codes GQ1 ("standard axle") and GU4 (open differential, 3.08 ratio). Certainly not the right setup for the T56 Magnum with an 0.63 6th gear.

As noted several posts ago (along with a gear ratio chart), the T56 Magnum that I chose (with 0.63 6th gear) and a tire that has a 90-inch circumference requires an axle ratio is in the ballpark of 4.10:1.

I began by looking at new gears and installation kits, a couple of specialty tools and measuring devices. No matter how I sliced it, I was in for many hundreds of dollars, and I’d be reliant on setting up the gears correctly in my basement. I’ve set up a few ring/pinions, but they’ve exclusively been axles with removable carriers (Ford 8- and 9-inch).

Because of a variety of factors – including time limitations; confidence limitations in setting the gears up right the first time; and dwindling difference between purchasing a rebuilt axle versus buying the parts and tools to rebuild the axle I had – I ended up buying a rebuilt GT5/G80 (4.10 with locker) axle.
The replacement axle is a rebuild from ATK (the same company that sells reman motors), with a 36 month warranty, and I confirmed that equivalent parts to what I would have purchased independently were used. (ATK uses Richmond gears, for example.) The axle might be total trash; it might be the best thing since canned beer; it might fall somewhere in the middle. The axle, delivered, cost $1,850 after about 15% in cumulative discounts. (The list price also appears to have increased by $150 since I bought mine in early June.) There is an additional $250 core charge, but the return shipping for the core axle is included in the purchase price, so I’ll get the $250 back without having to pay to ship an axle back.

While anyone can pick this choice apart – and believe me, I have picked it apart myself – as long as the axle is setup right, it seems like the right choice for a few reasons, both expected and entirely unexpected, which I’ll describe below.

We stripped down the original axle (e-brake cable removal; brakes & lines stripped; etc), unbolted the leading edge of both leaf springs (which had never been fully torqued after their installation), unbolted the axle U-bolts, slid the axle out, and set it aside. As a side note, the core return instructions specifically asked that the axle be drained, so we pulled the gear cover. The oil was fairly nasty, which was to be expected, but the wear pattern on the original axle was extremely good. I can only hope the new axle beds in as well as the original one. (**Fingers crossed**)

As soon as we opened the shipping crate the rebuilt axle came in, we noticed that the leaf spring mounting pads and bump-stop pads were clocked differently compared to the original axle. Was this good? Was this bag? Was the heat getting to us?

We heaved the rebuilt axle out of the crate and got it into position. We held it up with the floor jack while we loosely re-attached the leaf springs and then began to rotate it approximately where we thought the pinion should point. On first inspection, it seemed like the pinion could be oriented to be parallel with the transmission output shaft. As we noted a couple days earlier, this was very different, and much better, than with the original axle.

The picture immediately below was taken 3 years ago when Brett and I first notched the frame. You can see on the passenger side of the axle that it is rotated forward almost as far as it can go before contacting the flip kit saddle, and the pinion is still pointing skyward.

I also took this picture of the rebuilt axle from under the truck after the bed was back on, hoping it would illustrate the situation a bit more clearly. Sorry it's not a great picture.

Can you guys shed light on why the spring plates and bump-stop pads are setup so differently between these two axles? Was there something about the 4.3L/700R4 drivetrain and/or RCSB wheelbase that required a more extreme pinion angle on the original axle? Has anyone else experienced this situation?

Had I kept the original axle and changed the gears, I’m not sure what I would have done. Presumably cut off the leading edge of the original spring plate to get more rotation. But then the shock mounts would almost certainly be oriented incorrectly. I’d also have a lot less of the original spring plate to install the flip kit anti-rotation plate against. Furthermore, the anti-rotation plate would be at a comparatively extreme angle, which may not allow the bolts to be installed. All of that might have resulted in having to fabricate and weld-up new spring plates and shock mounts.

I may end up regretting this next statement, but here goes anyway: The $2k spent on the rebuilt axle appears to have solved both my driveline ratio and axle fitment issue in one step. This clean, bolt-in solution was worth whatever I money I could have saved by cobbling together and endless fiddling with the original axle to make it work, marginally. (And yes, I will concede that finding a good salvage yard axle would have saved me about $1300, if it was in usable shape.)

With the axle in place, we turned our attention to installing new rear brakes and the last bits of the axle flip kit (shock mount extenders; anti-rotation plates & bolts, etc). I had forgotten how absurd drum brakes can be – specifically the auto-adjusting mechanism.

At the end of the day we looked closely at the driveline angles. Using a digital inclinometer phone app, we measured the angle of the transmission output shaft (3 degrees downward) and then attempted to make the pinion angle parallel to that. It took a few adjustments, but we got there without any issue.
To be clear, this measurement was taken on a driveway that probably isn’t level and I'm not claiming that a phone app is the best measurement tool. At this stage we were merely trying to see if we could make the transmission output and axle input the same. In short, we could.

When I can easily move the truck to a piece of level concrete, I’ll measure the actual transmission output angle and then set the axle input (pinion) angle accordingly (using something better than a phone app). The important details is that the axle pinion line could be set parallel to the transmission output shaft, with room for adjustment in either direction.

Since the original axle is still at my house, I'm going to dig into this a bit further and try to measure the included angle of the spring pads to the pinion shaft. I'll try to report that out in my next post.

Thanks to anyone that made it through this very long post, with very few pictures. I hope to hear from some of you that might know what's going on with the orientation of the spring plates, etc.

nineno

Reaction score
Just a quick picture addition showing the rebuilt axle, brake lines, frame braces (etc) installed over the Independence Day weekend. The angle of the pinion and spring pads isn't obvious from this perspective, but direct comparison to the original axle (quoted below)sort-of shows the difference (eg: improvement).

The picture immediately below was taken 3 years ago when Brett and I first notched the frame. You can see on the passenger side of the axle that it is rotated forward almost as far as it can go before contacting the flip kit saddle, and the pinion is still pointing skyward.

original_pinion_angle.jpg

I'll get some measurements on the difference in the next few days.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Just a quick picture addition showing the rebuilt axle, brake lines, frame braces (etc) installed over the Independence Day weekend. The angle of the pinion and spring pads isn't obvious from this perspective, but direct comparison to the original axle (quoted below)sort-of shows the difference (eg: improvement).

I'll get some measurements on the difference in the next few days.
Beautiful color, what is it called? Nice work, wish mine were that clean underneath.

nineno

Reaction score
Beautiful color, what is it called? Nice work, wish mine were that clean underneath.
Thanks HotWheelBurban!
Unfortunately, I can't definitively give you a paint code or make/model that this color is used on, but I think I can get very close.
When I finally decided on a general color scheme, I told the guy painting the truck something like "...root beer brown, with a touch of metallic, like the color that was offered on 2020 Toyota Tundras..." (I mentioned that specific truck because I have a friend with a 2020-ish Tundra that is metallic brown.)

Now, the guy painting the truck claims that he ginned up the color on his own, but I wouldn't be shocked if the color that got sprayed was, in fact, the 2020 Toyota Sunset Bronze Mica (paint code 4U3).

Here's a pic of a Tundra in that color, shamelessly borrowed from the interwebs. Pretty close, right?

Hope that helps, because I'm certainly not trying to keep it a mystery.

As for the cleanliness of the frame, when I bought the truck I walked around the exterior once and determined the exterior sheet metal was good enough, then I spent a half an hour on a creeper under the truck scraping dirt and grease away to make sure the frame was good. It was probably 2 years after I bought the truck I got after the frame with an angle grinder & cup brush to really clean it up. I'll admit, I was surprised how nice the frame actually was! (This accept this as recompense for all the rusted-out cars I've worked on, growing up in the upper midwest!)

Again, thanks for the kind remarks.

HotWheelsBurban

Reaction score
Thanks HotWheelBurban!
Unfortunately, I can't definitively give you a paint code or make/model that this color is used on, but I think I can get very close.
When I finally decided on a general color scheme, I told the guy painting the truck something like "...root beer brown, with a touch of metallic, like the color that was offered on 2020 Toyota Tundras..." (I mentioned that specific truck because I have a friend with a 2020-ish Tundra that is metallic brown.)

Now, the guy painting the truck claims that he ginned up the color on his own, but I wouldn't be shocked if the color that got sprayed was, in fact, the 2020 Toyota Sunset Bronze Mica (paint code 4U3).

Here's a pic of a Tundra in that color, shamelessly borrowed from the interwebs. Pretty close, right?

Hope that helps, because I'm certainly not trying to keep it a mystery.

As for the cleanliness of the frame, when I bought the truck I walked around the exterior once and determined the exterior sheet metal was good enough, then I spent a half an hour on a creeper under the truck scraping dirt and grease away to make sure the frame was good. It was probably 2 years after I bought the truck I got after the frame with an angle grinder & cup brush to really clean it up. I'll admit, I was surprised how nice the frame actually was! (This accept this as recompense for all the rusted-out cars I've worked on, growing up in the upper midwest!)

Again, thanks for the kind remarks.
Yes that is a pretty color. Too nice for a Toyota (even though they're built in San Antonio; IIRC Houston was in the running for the plant too). Several of the import brands have nice colors, the last few years.....

HotWheelsBurban

Reaction score
Shhhsh,don't tell anyone but that blue chopper was painted with Nissan intense blue pearl.
Mazda has a gorgeous candy apple red that must have a silver base(it POPS in the sun!) and Honda and Nissan have beautiful shades of blue. I saw a newer car this afternoon that was almost cobalt blue; couldn't decide whether to be blue or purple. Think it was an Audi but I couldn't really see enough of it to be sure. And several makes had a sharp honey/pagan gold a few years back....