Slip yoke question.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Astro

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey all,

I did a 4l80 swap on my truck some time ago and when I shortened my driveshaft, I think perhaps the shop made a mistake when they did it.

The problem I'm having is I'm installing a 4 lift that's, according to the manufacturer of the lift, not supposed to affect the slip yoke engagement enough to warrant a length increase.

After lifting the rear, the amount of shaft showing seems to be too much. Also, where there was none, now there's a bit of movement in the yoke when I push up on it. Before it was pretty solid, but now "clicks" up and down ever so slightly, if you know what I mean.

How much of the slip yoke should be showing, anyway?

Also, is there a way to verify my driveshaft length against the distance between my transfer case and pinion yoke? What should it be?

The measurement from the transfer case flange, where the seal sits to the pinion yoke "U" is 67 7/8. The driveshaft, center of u-joint to center of u-joint is 63 1/16.

Thanks for any help!

Attachments

• 20240622_112328.jpg
    20240622_112328.jpg
    181.5 KB · Views: 18
  • M1-1 Asterios.pdf
    385.2 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

Astro

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Got it figured out yall. It was entirely too short. Took some measurements based on instructions given by a driveshaft shop and got it set up correctly. Thanks for your replies!

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Got it figured out yall. It was entirely too short. Took some measurements based on instructions given by a driveshaft shop and got it set up correctly. Thanks for your replies!
Good you got it figured out. Just curious how much it cost to have the driveshaft work done. I'm swapping a 4l80 in the near future hopefully, so I'm sure it needs 3" or so taken out.

Astro

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Good you got it figured out. Just curious how much it cost to have the driveshaft work done. I'm swapping a 4l80 in the near future hopefully, so I'm sure it needs 3" or so taken out.
They charged me about 300 with new joints and balancing. It wasn't too bad. My shop has a spot on their site where they tell you how to measure your particular setup. Whatever you do, just make sure you based off how that shop asks you to measure lol. Just to avoid any BS.