Shift linkage and torque converter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Feral peasant

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
1998 Chevy K2500HD 5.7L 350ci 4L80E

My shift linkage broke me and my buddy put in the new one (taking out the seat and rolling the carpet back) after installation it would only go from park to Drive and I wasnt able to put the selector into 3-1 I pulled some slack and ran it properly now it can go into 3rd and 2nd but its all sloppy in second and i cant move it into first is there anything I'm missing that can tighten the line or something? I also was pulling on it to see if I just had too much slack but it still wouldn't go into first.

I got a little more information about my truck recently apparently I have either a high or mid stall torque converter which is why I feel my truck is very sluggish, is there anywhere I can get a stock new one that won't cost an arm and a leg? I seen monster sold them for $400 but that's too much I seen AutoZone has them for like 170 and Ill be able to get a discount on it but I seen the reviews were mixed, any input on this?

NickTransmissions

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
1998 Chevy K2500HD 5.7L 350ci 4L80E

My shift linkage broke me and my buddy put in the new one (taking out the seat and rolling the carpet back) after installation it would only go from park to Drive and I wasnt able to put the selector into 3-1 I pulled some slack and ran it properly now it can go into 3rd and 2nd but its all sloppy in second and i cant move it into first is there anything I'm missing that can tighten the line or something? I also was pulling on it to see if I just had too much slack but it still wouldn't go into first.

I got a little more information about my truck recently apparently I have either a high or mid stall torque converter which is why I feel my truck is very sluggish, is there anywhere I can get a stock new one that won't cost an arm and a leg? I seen monster sold them for $400 but that's too much I seen AutoZone has them for like 170 and Ill be able to get a discount on it but I seen the reviews were mixed, any input on this?
Do NOT BUY a torque converter from Autozone!

4L80Es came with either a 'high' stall or 'low' stall from the factory. The diesels and big blocks got the low stall and small blocks, for the most part, got the high stall.

See my 4L80E Information Thread for some more details on the converters...