Seeking Advice on Restoration

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

c0lton

Reaction score
Welcome from Alberta Canada.
As @GrimsterGMC said, toss us some pics to see what you have going on.
My .02c (Canadian, so less than freedom bucks) is to get the mechanicals sorted out first. I know it's no fun that way, but no sense having a decent body wrapped around a pole because something broke, or rear ended someone because the brakes failed.

You can go as cheap as you want or spend more then you can imagine on paint.
Spent some time on YouTube University watching videos. Particularly Kevin Tetz. He's a shill for Eastwood, who are a decent budget friendly DIY paint supplier.

And post some pics....I love me the steppys, lol.
I have a 91.
Believe it or not, it cranked right up! Its missing AC which isnt and issue and a vapor canister but it runs!

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thank you! I just took some better pics of the actual body and one of the wheel well. I race go karts and am getting ready for that race so I cant jack it up and take a good look just yet but I definitely will tomorrow! The trucks only been sitting for 3 years so most of this stuff is newer just been sitting in the elements.
That thing needs a shower more than my kid when he gets home from work!!!! Lol
Honestly, the rust underneath looks like a bit of surface rust. That would be considered factory fresh up here!!! Lol

c0lton

Reaction score
That thing needs a shower more than my kid when he gets home from work!!!! Lol
Honestly, the rust underneath looks like a bit of surface rust. That would be considered factory fresh up here!!! Lol
thats relieving. I’ll do the stage one that someone else posted in the thread and see what that does. Its gonna get really fun once i get to wiring. my brake pedal turns on my hazards

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
thats relieving. I’ll do the stage one that someone else posted in the thread and see what that does. Its gonna get really fun once i get to wiring. my brake pedal turns on my hazards
Lol.... welcome to the wonderful world of buying a used vehicle!!!
Hacks a plenty out there. But lucky for you, most have probably been seen out here

OBS_Trash

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
First off Welcome from Texas!
Feels good knowing young men/women like yourself out there interested in learning skills and something that is so satisficing, specially when doing it yourself.

I'm personally a Patina Lover (Search "Patina Paint" if unsure my meaning) My 96 is starting to get that patina look which is nice to me, i dont want pretty mirror paint. (To each his own right)
My 71 C10 has Gorgeous real earned 2-Tone Gold/White patina and i love it. That being said, I'm not a body guy, but yours looks like bad shape not patina. I will say Paint and Body is Mostly hard work, which as far as $$ goes means cheap but you have to put in the elbow time. There is a TON of videos showing prepping/blocking/sanding/blocking etc. This you could do little cost considering having a shop do it. Then dont be scared to paint yourself with a cheap harbor freight setup in fear of it coming our bad. Building an restoring is about learning, you can always start again. At the very least you could do the prep work yourself and lessen the cost of paint by a shop.

Also, perhaps there is something like my man above @Cadillacmak just mentioned in the above comment. Find a local shop/person willing to show/help/teach in exchange for you helping them around the shop, working for them in different ways and payment is knowledge and their help. That's how the old skool kings worked.

One thing is for sure, you cam to the right place, these , well i guess ill call it "Old School" forums considered these days are a wealth of knowledge!

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
One thing is for sure, you cam to the right place, these , well i guess ill call it "Old School" forums considered these days are a wealth of knowledge!
You must be registered for see images attach

Old school's rule!!! Lol
Daughter put this on mine, not happy about the placement, but her heart was in the right place. Lol

Cadillacmak

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
And for birthdays and Christmas, ask for things you need. Creeper, DA sander, HVLP gun, tools, sanding disks, etc. Pick them out and give your family a list, my boys do this all the time and get a lot for their projects. I am a big sucker for this and over spend on them all the time.