Seeking Advice on Restoration

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

c0lton

Reaction score
Im 15 and I just bought an 88 Chevrolet C1500 Step-Side. My father used to have one just like it. The body is in great condition but does have some chipped paint of course built up pollen and such. Im seeking some advice on what yall reccommend I should do to begin body restoration. Im working with a smaller budget given my age but I can save up for certain projects. I was thinking giving it a deep clean with a pressure washer and hit it with a polisher and some shine in the meantime until I can afford something like a paint job. Im trying to avoid paying several grand for a paint job so if theres any other alternatives to restore that shiny paint look please let me know. If yall know any other tips on frame restoration also send those please. My frame, suspension, brake components, etc are coated with built up grime and rust. Im not so worried about suspension or brake components because those can be replaced whenever I install a lift kit in the future but the frame is a different story. Some people have told me to just hit it with a coat of primer/paint but wanted a second opinion. Sorry if any of this is like stupid or something Im brand new to restoration and these older trucks! Thanks in advance.

GrimsterGMC

Thunder from "Down Under"
Supporting Member
Reaction score
G'day mate, welcome to the GMT400 forum. Maybe post some pictures and we can get a better feel for what needs doing and offer some useful advise. Good to see you young fellas getting into old trucks, it's the best way to learn to do your own work/ repairs.

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Welcome from Alberta Canada.
As @GrimsterGMC said, toss us some pics to see what you have going on.
My .02c (Canadian, so less than freedom bucks) is to get the mechanicals sorted out first. I know it's no fun that way, but no sense having a decent body wrapped around a pole because something broke, or rear ended someone because the brakes failed.

You can go as cheap as you want or spend more then you can imagine on paint.
Spent some time on YouTube University watching videos. Particularly Kevin Tetz. He's a shill for Eastwood, who are a decent budget friendly DIY paint supplier.

And post some pics....I love me the steppys, lol.
I have a 91.

Canadian Rust Bucket

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
.Some people have told me to just hit it with a coat of primer/paint but wanted a second opinion.
Glad to have you with us on the forum! These trucks are great to learn on, and this is a great spot to do research. That being said,

Anyone who told you just to hit it with a coat of paint is dead wrong. I repeat, dead wrong, they don't know what they're talking about. When you paint over rust, all you do is hide it. Rust is cancer-- it must be excised with extreme prejudice. Also like cancer, there are different treatment options depending on the severity of your frame rust.

Stage 1: Light surface rust, no pitting or flaking.
This is the easiest rust to treat. You just give it a little love with some abrasives, like a wire wheel, wire brush, or even rough sandpaper. The goal is to get the rust off the surface, then wipe clean with methyl hydrate (to prevent flash rusting from using water to rinse the metal clean). After that, prime and paint with rustoleum, tremclad, or if you're overly cautious, POR 15.

Stage 2: pitting, flaking or light scale rust.
We're getting into the more difficult rust to treat, here. You'll want to attack the rust with a hammer and cold chisel (not a chilly chisel, it's a specific type) to break off any lumps of scale. Focus on the big lumps, if you can smack it off, it has to go. Even just whacking the frame with a hammer can help dislodge chunks of rust scale from the vibrations.
Keep your eye out for more serious rust spots, anywhere where water is retained, on the lower part of the 'C' channel. Once you think the lumps are gone, repeat the rust treatment steps from Stage 1. Go over it as many times as necessary to remove all the rust. Then, wipe clean and paint.

Stage 3: Large, flaky scale, heavy pitting, and significant rust accumulation.
Ok, at this stage we need to involve some power tools. Namely, an air chisel and a needle scaler. These tools will dislodge the large flakes, blow the rust chunks off, and eat their way through to the clean metal hidden underneath (hopefully). Vigorous removal of the scale, followed by a grinding with a wire wheel, will get you close to where you need to be.
Then, when you're close, get a set of safety goggles, some rubber gloves, and muriatic acid. You'll want to give your frame an acid bath, brushing the acid on with a cheap paintbrush. Don't get it on your skin, it will burn. The acid will etch it's way into any remaining rust on the frame, allowing you to assess any areas that may need more descaling. Repeat this process as necessary. Then, when you're satisfied, rinse the frame down thoroughly to neutralize the acid and follow the rinse immediately with the methyl hydrate wipe-down. Paint and enjoy.

Stage 4: the rust is terminal, time for a frame swap or major repairs and patch welds to delay the inevitable. I'm going to assume that at 15 and with your budget constraints this level of work is beyond what your are able and willing to take on.

Hope this gives you some assessment criteria for your frame, so you can figure out how involved the rust fixing needs to be!

Last edited:

Cadillacmak

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Im 15 and I just bought an 88 Chevrolet C1500 Step-Side. My father used to have one just like it. The body is in great condition but does have some chipped paint of course built up pollen and such.
Welcome from Alaska. There are no stupid questions! I agree, send some pics so we know what you are dealing with.

Sean Buick 76

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Welcome! All good advice above! If you have the space then consider finding a spare frame and and building it up over the years as the drive the truck. I’ve never done this but I’ve always thought it would be ideal to find an identical frame, have it sandblasted and then slowly build it up and eventually swap the body over. Of course this all takes space so it may not be an option.

My advice is to take your time, I would remove the box and start cleaning up the frame as a good weekend project.

c0lton

Reaction score
G'day mate, welcome to the GMT400 forum. Maybe post some pictures and we can get a better feel for what needs doing and offer some useful advise. Good to see you young fellas getting into old trucks, it's the best way to learn to do your own work/ repairs.

Some bad pictures but its pouring rain so until it quits this’ll do! Thanks for all the advice everyone.

Attachments

• IMG_0001.jpeg
    IMG_0001.jpeg
    479.7 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_9996.jpeg
    IMG_9996.jpeg
    599.7 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_0089.jpeg
    IMG_0089.jpeg
    378.4 KB · Views: 39

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Those wheels are awesome!!! Definitely a 90's truck, lol.

Take a good look at the tires and make sure they are from at least the last decade.

The pic from underneath, the rust doesn't look "that bad," but would need some better ones.

Take a good look at the u-bolts on the axle, they have a tendency to rust away.

Looks like newer seats, beat up, but nothing that can't be fixed.

And if you don't know already, the stepsides are NOT fiberglass, they are SMC. There is a good write-up in the paint and body area, in the sticky section about them. So don't let your friends cousins uncles buddy tell you otherwise.

Get some better pics when you have a chance, that way we can can see what you are up against, and we can help you along with this journey. Excited for you, especially at your age.

c0lton

Reaction score
Those wheels are awesome!!! Definitely a 90's truck, lol.

Take a good look at the tires and make sure they are from at least the last decade.

The pic from underneath, the rust doesn't look "that bad," but would need some better ones.

Take a good look at the u-bolts on the axle, they have a tendency to rust away.

Looks like newer seats, beat up, but nothing that can't be fixed.

And if you don't know already, the stepsides are NOT fiberglass, they are SMC. There is a good write-up in the paint and body area, in the sticky section about them. So don't let your friends cousins uncles buddy tell you otherwise.

Get some better pics when you have a chance, that way we can can see what you are up against, and we can help you along with this journey. Excited for you, especially at your age.
Thank you! I just took some better pics of the actual body and one of the wheel well. I race go karts and am getting ready for that race so I cant jack it up and take a good look just yet but I definitely will tomorrow! The trucks only been sitting for 3 years so most of this stuff is newer just been sitting in the elements.

Attachments

• IMG_0183.jpeg
    IMG_0183.jpeg
    378.2 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_0182.jpeg
    IMG_0182.jpeg
    478.2 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_0181.jpeg
    IMG_0181.jpeg
    415.7 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_0180.jpeg
    IMG_0180.jpeg