SAS questions dana 44 shallow hubs.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

b454rat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Tried to say wheels are cheap, and don't get hung up on a set. It's far cheaper and easier when SAS'n to use 8 lug. The best axles to use are outta Fords. They are driver drop so don't have to change the transfer case. GM and dodge with pass drop will work but need to get a one year possibly 2 year only 241 pass drop case with the VSS. If have a 4/5-speed, TH350/400, or whatever non electric trans, and don't care bout speedo, then go ahead. But for electronic trans, the ECM needs that signal to shift the trans. Plus with pass drop t-case, need to get linkage, another pita. With the Ford axle (Dana 44), it's driver drop, already has a flat top knuckle (needed if yah wanna stear the truck) standard 8 lug pattern. If you just have to have 6 lug, then need said axle, stripped from the knuckles out, then get everything from the knuckles out from a GM 6 lug axle, including the knuckle. Only made for 5-6 years or something. All for a set of wheels??

tjezeski

Reaction score
First off, ditch the spacers. They put so much extra stress on the bearings, to say nothing about the steering. That is a ton of leverage you are fighting. Next consider the tire size. An IFS or D44 is not going to survive long with 37's. I blew out a cv shaft in 10 min on my 3/4 ton on 35's without even pushing it much. A 44 is stronger than the IFS, but aren't recommend for anything over 36 inches. Especially if you want to use a locker up front. If are you going through the expense and trouble of a SAS, don't skimp out on a 44. The 60 is more expensive but well worth it in the long run. Trust me if you use a 44 now you will, want to swap in a 60 after a few trips. I used to break front axle shafts every day of wheeling with a 44. Yes, every single day, at least 1 shaft would brake, many times 2 or 3 in day. No fun changing shaves that much. Rear swaps are easy and cheap, and you should be able to find a set with the correct gears already in them. Which, by the way, you will need 4.56:1 ratio if you want to have any power for off road. Many trucks came with this ratio, so should not be hard to find.

DFINEfab

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice everybody, I'm most likely going with an ifs lift just to keep my stupid wheels hahaha. I know it will be hard on CV's and bearings but meh what can you do. Really appreciate the feedback. Also here is a picture of the actual wheels.
You must be registered for see images attach

DFINEfab

Reaction score
ugh.......
Man the negativity is killing me, im trying to stay positive, but, im struggling. What do you want me to do? Buy new wheels, demount and remount the tires, new axle, steering, leaf springs, brake lines, driveshaft etc etc. Can you imagine the cost...used ford front axles (dana 60s) here regularly go for 1000$+ because everything in ontario rots. The 78-79 highboy axle that is the ideal swap? Yeah those sell for 2500$ here USED!

- or -

The 6 inch lift is 1400$ free shipping and I can use my stupid wheels everybody hates lol convince me this isn't the best way to go given the circumstances.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240910_163003_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20240910_163003_Facebook.jpg
    280.5 KB · Views: 4

b454rat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Its YOUR truck, so do what you wanna do. Im not a fan of the wheels, but I'm old school, I want more rubber than wheel. But if you just have to run those wheels, the best way is to get an IFS lift.

And I have 2 of those axles like the one you listed, for almost half the price. And not rusted to ****....