SAS questions dana 44 shallow hubs.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DFINEfab

Reaction score
Hey guys, first post on here. I'm starting to gather parts to do an SAS on my 94 silverado 4x4 but I have questions about front axles. IM RELETIVELY NEW TO 4x4 but very handy and experienced with old chevy stuff.

My current wheels are 78.1 CB and i want to use them on my SAS but is that possible with the large hub diameter of front solid axles? This truck is for off road use only and uses 3 inchBORA spacers to push the front wheel out for clearance (running 37's). SO can i get short or shallow hubs that will sit behind the wheels? (inside the 3inch spacer) OR - would it be really sketchy to bore the wheels out to approx 87mm (min diameter id need from my research) What would yall do? I could also just get and IFS lift and keep the standard bore but i really want the strength/reliability of the solid axle. Open to any suggestions and feedback,

FACTS

Wheels are cheap cast aftermarket wheels (paid 100 for all 4, wouldnt bother me to bore them)
front spacers are BORA 3 inch x 6 bolt hubcentric
currently IFS turned up with 3 inch body lift
open to any axle combo that could work but looking to do it on a budget as its a mud truck.

thanks for any help!

b454rat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If your current wheels WON'T fit the Dana 44, just get new wheels. There cheap an easy to find. But they are aftermarket then they are not aftermarket. Or they are some goofy a$$ wheel. Usually aftermarket wheels will fit anything in their bolt pattern. Also, what axle are you trying to use?

DFINEfab

Reaction score
If your current wheels WON'T fit the Dana 44, just get new wheels. There cheap an easy to find. But they are aftermarket then they are not aftermarket. Or they are some goofy a$$ wheel. Usually aftermarket wheels will fit anything in their bolt pattern. Also, what axle are you trying to use?
I dont have an axle yet just looking into getting one, and want some info into if i can make a SAS work with the wheels i've got. (they fit the IFS perfectly as it is 71.8 centerbore front and rear and i just spent 1500$ on new 37's for these wheels) Ideally i was thinking D44 cause they are available and parts seem to be common. I've noticed that Jeep d44 axles dont have the hub that sticks out way past the wheel. i was thinking maybe i could make something like that work but for 6x5.5 with a knuckle swap?

Like i said im new to 4x4 so alot of these specs and differences in axles are foreign to me haha but appreciate any help.

Ive also seen some "shallow hubs" that dont stick out as far as standard and im wondering if got my hands on the right configuration, my required 3"spacer would make the centerbore problem a non-issue. I'm aware that would put the hub locks inside the wheel but they can stay locked anyways.

b454rat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Not sure what you mean by shallow hubs. I think what you mean is unit bearing hubs. They look like the IFS hubs. Sorta same concept. But Jeep axles won't work as they are too narrow. Ford is the best, keeps driveshaft where it is. Will need to mix n match parts to keep 6 lug tho. Not impossible, just more to do.

But I wouldn't build anything just because of the wheels you have. There everywhere, so won't be hard to find what you need.

Cadillacmak

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My current wheels are 78.1 CB and i want to use them on my SAS but is that possible with the large hub diameter of front solid axles? This truck is for off road use only and uses 3 inchBORA spacers to push the front wheel out for clearance (running 37's). SO can i get short or shallow hubs that will sit behind the wheels? (inside the 3inch spacer) OR - would it be really sketchy to bore the wheels out to approx 87mm (min diameter id need from my research) What would yall do? I could also just get and IFS lift and keep the standard bore but i really want the strength/reliability of the solid axle. Open to any suggestions and feedback,

thanks for any help!
Are you going for a tall lift like 6 to 8 inches? It takes a lot of tire to make up for the pumpkin on the 44 vs the IFS. I have offroaded both and my 96 K2500 suburban was a beast. My 74 Chevy single cab, long bed, Dana 60 front, full floater 14 back, 454, 4L80e, NP241c, 6 inch lifted, 37" hummer tires was the best offroad truck I had. I guess my point is IFS is great for offroading but the right solid axle build is better like if you did a 4 point link with a panhard bar.

DFINEfab

Reaction score
Not sure what you mean by shallow hubs. I think what you mean is unit bearing hubs. They look like the IFS hubs. Sorta same concept. But Jeep axles won't work as they are too narrow. Ford is the best, keeps driveshaft where it is. Will need to mix n match parts to keep 6 lug tho. Not impossible, just more to do.

But I wouldn't build anything just because of the wheels you have. There everywhere, so won't be hard to find what you need.
Haha I know I'm going about this the wrong way but I feel committed to the wheels and tires now, if they didn't look so good I would just get new ones but damnnn I'm very happy with them. Unit bearing hubs is definitely what I was seeing. Thanks for that.

I know ford high pinion axles are the best for the swap due to the drivers side pumpkin. Bin scoping out Wfo concepts and sky's offroad seeing what is ideal and keeping an eye on marketplace.

I'm know I'm oversimplifying it, but generally your saying I could get a dana 44 front out of ford and swap in unit bearing hubs, and chevy knuckles among other parts and I'm theory... it should work? haha I'm in no rush, and I appreciate all your help

DFINEfab

Reaction score
Are you going for a tall lift like 6 to 8 inches? It takes a lot of tire to make up for the pumpkin on the 44 vs the IFS. I have offroaded both and my 96 K2500 suburban was a beast. My 74 Chevy single cab, long bed, Dana 60 front, full floater 14 back, 454, 4L80e, NP241c, 6 inch lifted, 37" hummer tires was the best offroad truck I had. I guess my point is IFS is great for offroading but the right solid axle build is better like if you did a 4 point link with a panhard bar.
Was thinking 6 inch lift. Seeing how much work it is to get a good solid axle under the truck that would fit my wheels... I'm honestly considering the ifs lift as it would be so much cheaper from what I can tell.

Ifs lift about 1400$ canadian.
Solid axle seemingly over 2500$

But I still think the truck is destined to be solid axle eventually it might just be waiting for the right parts to show up on marketplace. Thanks for the help and info tho, really appreciated!