Resto - Mode L29 setup...and living in Poland

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
454HO and Base 502 cam. Recomeend springs and pushrod length needs to be checked. I personally would convert to an adjustable valvetrain as well. Seemed to help low-end torque on the 8100 with headers. If it lost anything it was under the converter stall speed. I do not lug my engines as low as you do though. I have my shift patterns setup to downshift the transmission to pull the engine out of high load situations at lower rpm.

You saying you did that cam in an 8.1? It's been tempting me to drop one into the plow truck because stock sucks. On the other hand the stock intake chokes at 4500, so also on the fence. Forgot to ask if OP was keeping stock intake manifold.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You saying you did that cam in an 8.1? It's been tempting me to drop one into the plow truck because stock sucks. On the other hand the stock intake chokes at 4500, so also on the fence. Forgot to ask if OP was keeping stock intake manifold.
Looks like he is planning on some kind of aftermarket EFI manifold and 4bbl throttle body.

Yes I have that cam in an 8100. ZZ502 cam gains more peak HP but the HO 454/Base 502 cam has much better drivability. I also had a 496 Mag HO cam in an 8100. The 425 hp marine cam for that engine. The 454 cam makes more low-speed torque than the 8.1 HO cam and similar powerband. The stock 8100 cam is on a very wide LSA and the ICL is very retarded due to it not unlike the 7.4 Vortec.

That 454 HO/502 cam was $168 shipped when I bought it new from GM at the time. The 2nd 8100 I had needed a cam and lifter set. I bought it running with a collapsed lifter or two and it had been run long enough it hurt the OE cam.

WojTec

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi,
Love you answers here!
ZZ502 - can do some possible engine collision with those higher lifts for valves?

If you look more globally for my setup that at the send will have other intake manifold - more like 4150 + 4bb or bigger side mounted throttle.

PS. my gear ratio that will stay are 3.7ish

This is not a tow truck or work truck. And I am ok with more revs.

WojTec

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
The 454 bottom end is very stout. It'll definitely spin higher than 4500, and it absolutely will take some boost.
Love to have boost but that will be to complicado for my first Chevy V8 build.

Here NA V8 with healthy 400± power and torque is a goal
Tha is still so unique to drive it in Europe that you cannot imagine! It is an eye catcher. That's why spend my time here :)

For now I need urgent to order cam to start an move my project to paint boot for minor chassis works.

Will ZZ502 be OK then?

Piratehunter

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
@WojTec you asked me about the cam in another thread. Either of those two gm cams should be great options. that roller chain is not going to work, crank side gear is too thick, won't allow the reluctor to fit. you could go with larger than 19# injectors if 5O will swap them back.

WojTec

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
@WojTec you asked me about the cam in another thread. Either of those two gm cams should be great options. that roller chain is not going to work, crank side gear is too thick, won't allow the reluctor to fit. you could go with larger than 19# injectors if 5O will swap them back.
OK - so what will be a good option for cam?
If roller is to thick I should order oder timing set or oder timing cover?
If I change timing cover what about the balancer?
Injectors - that will be easy to get others if you get me and good setup.
Thx!

WojTec

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK - so what will be a good option for cam?
If roller is to thick I should order oder timing set or oder timing cover?
If I change timing cover what about the balancer?
Injectors - that will be easy to get others if you get me and good setup.
Thx!
@Piratehunter
Have a look on the timing set - unboxed:
Chain is 0.6inch or 16mm

Attachments

• 20240820_070846.jpg
    20240820_070846.jpg
    187.2 KB · Views: 4
  • 20240820_070848.jpg
    20240820_070848.jpg
    197.6 KB · Views: 4
  • 20240820_070939.jpg
    20240820_070939.jpg
    218.3 KB · Views: 4

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Love to have boost but that will be to complicado for my first Chevy V8 build.

Here NA V8 with healthy 400± power and torque is a goal
Tha is still so unique to drive it in Europe that you cannot imagine! It is an eye catcher. That's why spend my time here :)

For now I need urgent to order cam to start an move my project to paint boot for minor chassis works.

Will ZZ502 be OK then?
Sounds cool. I would be cautious of piston to valce clearence with the ZZ502 cam. The L29 does not have much in the way of a valve relief pocket this is compounded if larger than stock valves are used. The issue is not so much total lift, but the higher lift earlier in the pistons travel due to the large duration increase. At peak lift the piston is well down the bore, it is during the overlap period where the valves are atill open and the piston is near the the top of the bore that PTV clearence can be an issue. The longer the cams duration, the longer the valve is held open and the closer the piston gets to the valve. LSA and ICL can also effect PTV clearence by altering the valve action. Advancing or retarding the same cam can add or remove clearence as well. The area you have to worry about is in the range of about 20-30° BTDC and 20-30° ATDC of the crankshafts travel when the piston is still near the top of the bore despite the crank having rotated from TDC.

FWIW, the 8100 shares a very similar piston design and guys seem to get away with the ZZ502 cam in them including Richard Holdener. Nobody has ever stated how much PTV clearence they have but I can say it has to be close, tighter than I would want it to be personally in the event of lifter pump up or mild valve float. The 454 HO and Base 502 cam in an 8100 is about as tight PTV as I would ever want to run an engine. I used checker spring and there was maybe 0.125" left on the intake valve at 15* ATDC. That was as close as either valve got. The industry accepted minimum is 0.080" intake and 0.100" exhaust but in my personal experience that is cutting it close especially in a hydraulic lifter street engine that will see higher rpms than stock and many years of abuse. At 0.080" pump up a normal travel lifter from valve float and possibly or more likely kiss both your valve and piston goodbye as well as possibly the whole engine depending on how badly it grenades. Luckily as the timing chain stretches and wears it will retard the cam and actually widen that clearence. If it had been the exhaust valve I would have been more concerned as it would have decreased that clearence with the cam retarding with chain stretch.

Last edited: