Reman Steering Box

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JPVortex

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey y'all, looking for a steering box for my 94 K1500. I know RedHead makes good boxes, but theyre extremely pricey, $550 with core charge, little ridiculous.

I work at NAPA, and can get a reman steering box from them for under $150 with my employee discount? Do y'all think it'll reduce the slop I have in my steering wheel from the box?(Definitely the box, everything front end, steering shaft etc is new). I can also grab the steering shaft and watch the play from the steering box input.

How are NAPA reman boxes in general??

Thanks!

Heres a video of how much play is in my wheel coming from the steering box:
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You work at NAPA. You should be able to track down who NAPA sources their rebuilt boxes from.

First Guess: Cardone. Big mass-market rebuilder that doesn't have a fabulous reputation.

If this was me, I'd perform the two adjustments on the box that's already in the vehicle, and see what happens. Practically free.

JPVortex

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You work at NAPA. You should be able to track down who NAPA sources their rebuilt boxes from.

First Guess: Cardone. Big mass-market rebuilder that doesn't have a fabulous reputation.

If this was me, I'd perform the two adjustments on the box that's already in the vehicle, and see what happens. Practically free.
Yeah I’ve looked into doing the adjustment, I dont really have the proper tools to do it. I don’t really have a way to gauge when it has the 2in. Lb(or whatever it was) of drag on the input shaft.

Also the box feels pretty shot, it barely wants to return to center at all.

JPVortex

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well folks I got the NAPA reman.

At first it had just as much play as the old one, but then I looked at the top adjustment point and saw that it was basically all the way backed out.

So I brought it down to snug and then loosened off of it around 90-120 degrees.

Steering is now way tighter and has almost no slop in it. It’s either because it’s way over adjusted or because it actually did something lol. But I’ll find out in 2 weeks or so if it gets sloppy again. At that point I’ll return the box and get another one lol.

JPVortex

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks! Any chance you could also throw a link to the adjustment procedure?

I know it requires pulling the box drained of all fluid, no pitman arm attached, loosening the sector shaft all the way, then making the adjustment to the front by the input shaft with a spanner. Just can’t remember the specs you want for drag or anything lol.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@Schurkey just recently posted links from manual on procedure. Maybe it wasn’t a recent post, but it was in a recent thread that someone responded to.