Rear Shock Length Question. What's Going On Here With These Bilsteins!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DeuceRooster

Reaction score
So I installed 2" lowering shackles on my 1990 2WD. At the same time I am replacing my rear shocks with new Bilstein 24021715 shocks. Bilstein gives this part number for applications lowered 0-4" however my passenger side shock seems way too short. In this photo I forced it into place but as you can see now the rear sits crooked. Once the truck is on the ground it sits evenly but I am sure the travel is comprimised. Is this normal? Any way to correct this? I've heard of people using shock extenders but not sure if that's what I would need especially with only a 2" shackle drop.

I did drive the truck about 5 miles around town after the install and it didn't make any new noises even around tight turns. Everything seemed to feel fine however it was only a short drive.

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_3166.jpg
    IMG_3166.jpg
    203.2 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:

Das Hatt

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Are both shackles set to the same height? Some have multiple holes. Are the shackles binding on the spring or the shackle bracket? I doubt the shock has enough compression force to lift half of the axle assembly/brakes/wheel and tire.

Did you cycle the shocks before installing them?

DeuceRooster

Reaction score
Are both shackles set to the same height? Some have multiple holes. Are the shackles binding on the spring or the shackle bracket? I doubt the shock has enough compression force to lift half of the axle assembly/brakes/wheel and tire.

Did you cycle the shocks before installing them?

I did not cycle the shocks before installing them. I did check extended length on both to make sure they were the same.

Both shackles are set at the same height. Shackles are moving freely with no binding. I basically had to lift the passenger side of the rear end to get the lower shock mount to connect to the lower eye of the shock. So the shock itself is too short it seems.