Ran over branch & truck stopped

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Erin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Do you think that could have smacked you t-case linkage and created a jamming situation? When you stopped it popped back to normal? Just thinking out loud here.
I went from drive to reverse & still wouldn’t move. Put it in park, walked around, pushed in parking brake, released it, put in drive & it went. Not familiar with t-case linkage.

someotherguy

Even more awesome in person
Reaction score
Unrelated but related; my first ex-police car was an '89 Caprice. Cool ride, had been painted black for use in a movie shoot, and had twin chrome spotlights, one on each A-pillar. So it looked like an undercover car, other than the spots. I first ran a set of repro Corvette rally wheels on it with the '67 disc brake center caps, then later the Centerline "Billet Stealth" (completely smooth, no cuts) wheels.

Anyway. Left the house one day and while going down the main road, stepped on the brake, and the rears LOCKED UP to a tire-smoking stop. I let off the pedal and the car rolled.. stepped on the brakes again and BAM, locked up. I babied it back to the house wondering WTF happened?

These cars have a sort of 4-link setup on the rear end. The lower driver side arm had broken; the clean vs. rusty area of the crack showed it had been cracked for a long time and finally broke through on that day. When stepping on the brake, the broken ends of the arm of course spread apart, letting the axle move rearwards, which put tension on the parking brake cable.

Richard

rebelyell

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I once ran over some stubble in a recently harvested field. That '97 Sonoma had a 4L60E automatic & was relatively low due to ZQ8 suspension pkg. The stubble pried the shifter cable loose from side of trans; a few miles out and the end of OE console-shift cable fell away from trans. It became stuck between gears. I thought very worst had happened until I crawled under it enough to see it and pop the cable end back onto trans. The toughest part was belly too big; tight squeeze in that field.

Keeper

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I once ran over some stubble in a recently harvested field. That '97 Sonoma had a 4L60E automatic & was relatively low due to ZQ8 suspension pkg. The stubble pried the shifter cable loose from side of trans; a few miles out and the end of OE console-shift cable fell away from trans. It became stuck between gears. I thought very worst had happened until I crawled under it enough to see it and pop the cable end back onto trans. The toughest part was belly too big; tight squeeze in that field.
LOL... stubble sucks, all day every day

I'm dealing with that shifter cable connection right now with a burban just moving it around the yard. Pops off when putting it in park. What a pain. New dash, seats, carpet going in soon, so it's just waiting for the party.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
LOL... stubble sucks, all day every day

I'm dealing with that shifter cable connection right now with a burban just moving it around the yard. Pops off when putting it in park. What a pain. New dash, seats, carpet going in soon, so it's just waiting for the party.
The little clip is prone to falling off once it gets loose. Had that happen to Burb a couple years ago, had to get towed twice cause I couldn't get under it to attempt a fix. Road service company took care of the tows, but one of em we had to wait over 2 hours for, in not the nicest part of town....