R-12 to R-134a conversion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

///RAGMC

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
From what I have heard 134a is on its way out and there going to be using something else.

1993GMCSierra

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah, I forgot what the name of the replacement is. Stock up on R-134a, that's all I can say.

I'm looking at some R-12 on eBay. If I can get it all fairly cheap, I'll just try to add it to the system as it is, and see how well it works. After all, there is still freon in the system, just not enough for it to engage the compressor.

Now, what is the proper method for adding freon into the system?

I know to only add it through the low pressure side, and how to connect everything, but how long should it take to suck in a can of freon if I jump the low pressure switch?

For example, I was adding some R-134a to my Caprice a few months ago, took 2.5 cans.

It never seemed to suck in the freon with the compressor running, so what I did was hook everything up, jumper the low pressure switch, and hold the can upside down. Sucked each can in over the course of about a minute. Monitored the vents, and as soon as it got to around 38*, I stopped adding freon. Works fine.

I've read that doing this can grenade the compressor, because I am feeding it liquid freon (which obviously, doesn't compress), as opposed to a gas.

Should I just jumper the connection, and just set the can upright like it should be, and wait ten minutes or so? I don't want to run the compressor if it isn't sucking in any freon. Can't imagine it'll last long like that.

chevy-92

Reaction score
The new freon I believe is 1234-a coming soon. I would stick with r12. It runs lower pressures which is not as hard on the compressor and better for fuel mileage. Mine has 134a and I'd like to change it to r12. If you do go with 134a than I would put the 95 condenser in for the 134a for more surface area to change that freon back to a liquid so you don't have hot vapors trying to go through the orifice tube. You will need to flush out all of your lines, change the condensor to the bigger one, change all of your o-rings and seals and new orfice tube, accumulator/receiver drier and if it were mine id just put a new compressor on. If you dont know alot about refrigeration systems than the best way you can charge an ac system after it is vaccumed out is to put some in before you even start the vehicle. the vaccum will pull the freon in. you can atleat put one 12 ounce can in and charge it untill the suction line gets cold upto the compressor. when it is cold to the compressor STOP putting freon in.

GMCTRUCKS

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Check for leaks first maybe it just a fitting and if it is keep R12 my 93 is converted it cools good.