quick ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jauica's 90

Reaction score
whats the reqired cfm for an electric fan or fans? for my 1995 350 tbi?

borahshadow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've heard to shoot for 4000cfm if you have A/C. I could be wrong though.

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
4000cfm???????????????? I never heard of a fan pulling that much, MAYBE dual fans but most of the e fans only do under 3k cfm.

I'm sure that much cfm would work and cool it big time though. Just good luck on finding some with that kinda cfm I would think.

It is a very good question though, I was always wondering which cfm would work best and not be too small.

borahshadow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Like I said I could be wrong and a lot of people (including me) tend to overbuild things so that worst case scenarios are covered. I thought that the Jeep Grand Cherokee fan pulled ~4000cfm and was a close fit in the stock shroud. I think the Mark VIII fan also pulls almost 4000 cfm when on high. It too fits nicely in the stock shroud. That's just what I remember reading somewhere here on the forum so I could be wrong.

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
honestly for me in the stock shroud is ok and I understand it, but I like clean and uncluttered stuff, so if I was gonna do e fan I would want to ditch the shroud and rad mount or make a small shroud for it like the ones summit sells or like stock where it's not very thick. Like stock I mean such as camaros and things with e fans where the shroud is only an inch or two from the rad.

I too would want to overkill the e fan to make sure it can cool as it needs to.

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
there is no specific cfm requirement that I've ever seen, and CFM ratings are not exactally comparable from brand to brand. the Mark VIII is touted to pull somewhere around 3000-3500 cfm on low, and up to around 5000 cfm on high. however most stock fan systems don't really publish the flow ratings so I don't know. I just always tell people when they're looking at fans to get the best flowing they are able to afford. but I don't usually recommend the aftermarket setups like flexalite, I've never been impressed with them, and seen a higher failure rate IME with them as well, a good stock style setup will typically pull more and be more reliable than most aftermarket stuff. some good stock fans are the mark VIII fan, taurus fan, LSx fans, LTx fans, viper fans, etc, most any fan from a decent sized motor vehicle should do pretty good.

borahshadow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
there is no specific cfm requirement that I've ever seen, and CFM ratings are not exactally comparable from brand to brand. the Mark VIII is touted to pull somewhere around 3000-3500 cfm on low, and up to around 5000 cfm on high. however most stock fan systems don't really publish the flow ratings so I don't know. I just always tell people when they're looking at fans to get the best flowing they are able to afford. but I don't usually recommend the aftermarket setups like flexalite, I've never been impressed with them, and seen a higher failure rate IME with them as well, a good stock style setup will typically pull more and be more reliable than most aftermarket stuff. some good stock fans are the mark VIII fan, taurus fan, LSx fans, LTx fans, viper fans, etc, most any fan from a decent sized motor vehicle should do pretty good.

This^^^

k_pro1992

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
will a single fan from a mark VIII pull enough air for a 97 K1500 Z71.

and will it just bolt up to the radiatior or will some fabbing be required.

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
as stated above, the mark VIII will flow plenty. most every e-fan will requre some type of fabrication to mount, as well as wire.