Questions about 5.3 swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NorthState

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My experience is in my postings, but here's my $.02 I got a truck with no motor, bought the built SBC from the previous owner of the truck. The SBC was built on a vortec block, but with summit heads and an efi throttle body. There was no crank or cam position sensors, so the engine would work great in a nonelectric platform. The electric transmission needed to be able to interpret the engine speed through the cam/crank position sensor so I could tune shift points. The harness had the injector wires already removed, so the original 5.7 motor was not an easy option. I elected to take the risk as @L31MaxExpress stated to trade a guy the SBC for a rebuilt 5.3. It came with a harness, but it was a cheap overseas one that wasn't pinned correctly. So I went on the search for a complete 5.3 harness and PCM. I am currently near the end of my harness rework... I think... I hope. However, I still need to get the accessories and brackets to all the peripheral stuff. All that to say, its still a huge risk, and a significant undertaking. If your buddy is going to give you the engine, harness, accessories, brackets, PCM, pedal and TAC module (if DBW), then it may be possible. You also have to consider if you're going to do single fuel line or return style, if so, you're going to need to do a corvette fuel filter. The AC is turning out to be a significant point of confusion to me, as I have like 4 or 5 wires on the 5.7 side, and only two on the 5.3 side to figure out how it all works.

Again thats about what $.02 will get you!