Power steering fluid?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MrobsMan

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I installed a new gearbox on my 94 k1500 and I am trying to decide between using regular power steering fluid and atf dexron 3. What’s everyone’s thoughts?

99xcss4

92g-94c frank'n (truburban) K-2500
Reaction score
we have put atf in power steering many times not saying it is right or that you should do it though it seems fluid threads end in arguments and differing opinions but I would be interested if some one posted how they are similar and how they are different imho they seem to be very close and seem to do okay in a steering system but I would never put power steering fluid in a transmission I do not think it could take the heat

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Power steering fluid. Copied this directly from the '94 factory service manual "Recommended Fluids" page.

Power Steering System—Power steering fluid meeting requirements of GM specification 9985010, (GM P/N 1050017) or equivalent.

Vikingdude

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Living in the frigid north I have blown two power steering hoses in -40 and colder temps. I took it to the mechanic, since I don't have a heated garage. He insisted 1/2 and 1/2 power steering fluid and atf works better in the cold. The MSDS says they are almost identical in low temp properties, but I haven't blown another since then.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
First rule , what does manufacturer say to use.
Second rule, their will be 10,000 , " this works for me ", " I use half snake blood and STP", " nope full synthetic is real deal ",
Or some other variation, mixture.
Older systems used dex3 , current standards have power steer specific formulations. You can't go wrong with factory standards. Do some research , it's your choice.

98_SLE_98

Reaction score
Our GMT400 PS Fluid.

Some other GM vehicles use Dexron VI. A couple of screen shots as an example,
You must be registered for see images attach

JDGMC

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I installed a new gearbox on my 94 k1500 and I am trying to decide between using regular power steering fluid and atf dexron 3. What’s everyone’s thoughts?
The fluid in your new steering gear is likely Dextron. Use it.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Our GMT400 PS Fluid.

Some other GM vehicles use Dexron VI. A couple of screen shots as an example,

And ...? What are we missing here. Probably 99% of the people here have other fluid type vehicles. Re inventing the wheel.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
First rule , what does manufacturer say to use.
Second rule, their will be 10,000 , " this works for me ", " I use half snake blood and STP", " nope full synthetic is real deal ",
Or some other variation, mixture.
Older systems used dex3 , current standards have power steer specific formulations. You can't go wrong with factory standards. Do some research , it's your choice.
"Current standards" - when discussing 2 to 3 decade-old trucks, sometimes we need to revise our perspective on what's "current" - even the 1992 C/K owner's manual says to use power steering fluid, not Dex 3 :)

p7-26 "GM Power Steering Fluid (GM Part No. 1050017) or equivalent conforming to GM spec 9985010"

Strangely, if you look up your particular vehicle on Rock, and choose "Steering - Power Steering Fluid" - you're presented with a short list of several products, from only 2 suppliers, Prestone and Edelmann.

If you look it up in non-vehicle specific search ("Tools and Universal parts" selection on Rock's site) you'll obviously find a lot more choices, including 3 from AC Delco.

AC Delco 105074 (16 oz), AC Delco 105073 (32 oz), and AC Delco 105044 (32 oz, cold climate formula - for use in areas where temp gets below -20F)

Richard