PMGR starter differences

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

scott2093

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Study that Remy TSB link shurkey provides in his post #5; it's the best, most reliable available.
I did and I still got lost. Now I'm seeing the bolts. For some reason, GM parts giant has 2 sections for starter bolts and one is somewhat confusing.

Yes it looks like the GM 12338064... guessing they're considered long...heh

still don't see how my starter is referenced in the pdf... I guess the 96206 since I have the 168 tooth flexplate...
You must be registered for see images attach

someotherguy

Even more awesome in person
Reaction score
That's good stuff; how did you look it up? Interesting that Rock doesn't have an actual description for it other than the "GM GENUINE" and part #. That clamp-on style is nice, providing it fits the solenoid on whichever brand aftermarket PMGR starter one might choose.

I was trying to look one up that fit OEM-style like the one that came off my '98 7.4 yard wrecker but no luck right off the bat on Rock or GMPD. Less flexible in that it depends on the specific length of starter motor w/thru-bolt, and the solenoid screws, but I was curious if it could be found online regardless.

Richard

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My GMC has one of these on . It turns over fast. The K2500 has a AC Delco, two years ago, spins great.

Jerrys1990

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bought a new O'Reilly starter N613326B and two new Dorman bolts 678-107. I get a great discount through O'reilly because they're across the street from my dealership. Limited lifetime warranty. The listing we used to look it up was a 1994 C1500 Silverado....the same part # is also listed for a 1998 Vortec truck. Getting ready to go into work to install it. I don't know if my current DD starter even has a heat shield....if it doesn't, I'll have to investigate. If the heat shields from the current 5.3 liters fit onto my solenoid, I think we have a few of those in the scrap bin. (Those are Valeo starters and they fail frequently.) Will update once installed!

scott2093

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It bolted in with no issues using the original hardware for the DD starter, and I DID check to make sure the knurling properly engaged the bolt bosses prior to final torque.
Looks like my original bolts are about 8.5mm longer than what the recommended 12338064 would be.. Not sure I can see that being an issue... I still need new ones anyway so would get the 12338064 if I get a different starter......
Your Not worried about the mention in the pdf or maybe yours are the exception??
"The knurled area of the starter bolt maintains correct pinion alignment by preventing
twisting between the starter housing and the bolt. All PG starter housings are machined for
a 10.1mm knurl. Most 10MT starters use a 9.7mm housing. Using the incorrect knurl will
allow the starter to twist and result in pinion misalignment, noise, and premature pinion and

flywheel wear"
I bought a new O'Reilly starter N613326B and two new Dorman bolts 678-107. I get a great discount through O'reilly because they're across the street from my dealership. Limited lifetime warranty. The listing we used to look it up was a 1994 C1500 Silverado....the same part # is also listed for a 1998 Vortec truck.
I missed what year your truck is. And how did you decide to look up the 1994 C1500 Silverado if you don't mind me asking? That's the part I'm confused about.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have zero clue what starter and bolts my truck would take after looking at all of this info
When I had to buy a new starter for WCJr, I just bought a Vortec starter.

Note that there are always ZERO starters available for Chevy trucks at Pull-A-Part here.

Denso 281-8002 was my choice for a PMGR replacement for my DD starter.
That looks absolutely perfect, and of course "This item is discontinued".

Jerrys1990

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looks like my original bolts are about 8.5mm longer than what the recommended 12338064 would be.. Not sure I can see that being an issue... I still need new ones anyway so would get the 12338064 if I get a different starter......
Your Not worried about the mention in the pdf or maybe yours are the exception??
"The knurled area of the starter bolt maintains correct pinion alignment by preventing
twisting between the starter housing and the bolt. All PG starter housings are machined for
a 10.1mm knurl. Most 10MT starters use a 9.7mm housing. Using the incorrect knurl will
allow the starter to twist and result in pinion misalignment, noise, and premature pinion and

flywheel wear"

I missed what year your truck is. And how did you decide to look up the 1994 C1500 Silverado if you don't mind me asking? That's the part I'm confused about.
Mine is a 1990 C1500. I knew that the PMGR starters appeared in 1994 even for the TBI trucks like mine, so that's why I looked it up. Now, I installed everything today, and one of the Dorman bolts does NOT go all the way in. I had to use washers (to get back home) and the starter sounds like it may need a small shim. So, I ordered the GM ones and they'll be in Monday.