Plug in performance chip for 91 Silverado

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I have read about them and 90% of the info I see is negative. Seems there is always repercussions for using them.

Plus, your truck should be in top shape before any performance upgrades.

That_91K1500

Reaction score
Ya I’ve put a lot of money into the truck nothing performance wise though. It just seems to have a really tough time maintaining speed on hills and stuff and I’m just trying to find a quick and relatively cheap way to get more power or find a way to get better mpg

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Attach a fuel gauge and check fuel pressure from start to driving and up hills. How old is fuel filter? How old is the tune components?

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is it a 4.3, 5.0, or 5.7L? They're all under powered with the 5.7 being a little better.

Before jumping down the rabbit hole, try freeing up the exhaust, that helps a lot! Headers, mandrel bent Y pipe, 3" high flow Cat, straight through muffler. Or any combination of the above but, if you still have the old style pellet Cat, throw it away!

I agree, most if not all mail order tunes for these trucks leave a lot to be desired. :burnout:

That_91K1500

Reaction score
Is it a 4.3, 5.0, or 5.7L? They're all under powered with the 5.7 being a little better.

Before jumping down the rabbit hole, try freeing up the exhaust, that helps a lot! Headers, mandrel bent Y pipe, 3" high flow Cat, straight through muffler. Or any combination of the above but, if you still have the old style pellet Cat, throw it away!

I agree, most if not all mail order tunes for these trucks leave a lot to be desired. :burnout:
It’s a 5.7 has a new axle dump exhaust high flow cat to a glass pack stock manifold though

That_91K1500

Reaction score
Attach a fuel gauge and check fuel pressure from start to driving and up hills. How old is fuel filter? How old is the tune components?
I’ve had a few people recommended doing this so I’ll give it a shot. Although the fuel filter is only 7 months old with the pump being 1 year old. Currently no tunes or anything motor is stock but has new distributor plugs wires, iac,intake manifold, and gaskets

98 Nitro

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Look at the long thread for TBI chips, the only one a few people like is the Jet stage2, but again start with exhaust.

sneakingfart

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have some experience with tunes, see my sig. The Civic Type R went from factory 295 wheel HP to 406 wheel HP, dyno proven. But it's much easier to make power when you have forced induction. Mail order tunes are OK, i have tried that option with the Civic previously, but nothing like a real time dyno tune can do. That said, plug in "chips" are generally hot garbage. I am going with a Black Bear mail order tune, but only because I want them to tune out the rear O2 sensors. I have a likely wiring issue to the Bank 2 Sensor 2.sensor that is throwing a low voltage code, and since I don't need to do emissions testing on this truck anymore in my state, I'd rather just tune the sensors out to kill the CE light, then go on a wiring hunt.

Regarding power, I have magnaflow cats and now a magnaflow catback system as well, and it did nothing for performance or MPG. I didn't expect it to though. These old school 350 ci engines just aren't that powerful. If Black Bear can unlock 20 hp, that would be great, but don't expect miracles. They can certainly make more power, but you're not going to get there with a tune alone.

Last edited: