Oil Pickup Screen Angle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fancyTBI

*Sad TBI 350 noises*
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m currently installing the Melling BBC HV oil pump in my SBC. This kit is supposed to work with 7 1/4” depth pans. However I get an extreme pickup screen angle to mount it to 6 3/4” . Any input? I have a 5qt pan on order but if I can run a different screen I will.

Attachments

• IMG_0041.jpeg
    IMG_0041.jpeg
    291.6 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_0042.jpeg
    IMG_0042.jpeg
    300 KB · Views: 9

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
1. Layer of aluminum foil/Saran Wrap/Duct Tape over the pickup
2. Cone-shaped blob of clay--play-doh, plumber's putty, something like that on the aluminum foil covering the oil-pan side of the pickup
3. Spritz of lube--engine oil, spray of Pam, anything--on the bottom of the oil pan
4. Install oil pan firmly onto block. No gasket or bolts needed.
5. Remove oil pan.
6. Measure thickness of clay.

That's your pickup-to-pan clearance. Typically about 3/8 inch. Adding a proper gasket compressed when the bolts on the pan are tightened, gives a bit more clearance--perhaps 1/2".

BBC pump on a marine 454
You must be registered for see images attach

Having the pickup angled like you have it is NOT appropriate. Either get a different pickup tube, or a different oil pan, or discover you have excess clearance between pickup and pan.

Optical illusion on your measuring tool? Looks like it's not a 90-degree angle.

Last edited:

fancyTBI

*Sad TBI 350 noises*
Supporting Member
Reaction score
1. Layer of aluminum foil/Saran Wrap/Duct Tape over the pickup
2. Cone-shaped blob of clay--play-doh, plumber's putty, something like that on the aluminum foil covering the oil-pan side of the pickup
3. Spritz of lube--engine oil, spray of Pam, anything--on the bottom of the oil pan
4. Install oil pan firmly onto block. No gasket or bolts needed.
5. Remove oil pan.
6. Measure thickness of clay.

That's your pickup-to-pan clearance. Typically about 3/8 inch. Adding a proper gasket compressed when the bolts on the pan are tightened, gives a bit more clearance--perhaps 1/2".

BBC pump on a marine 454
You must be registered for see images attach

Having the pickup angled like you have it is NOT appropriate. Either get a different pickup tube, or a different oil pan, or discover you have excess clearance between pickup and pan.

Optical illusion on your measuring tool? Looks like it's not a 90-degree angle.
Thanks Schurkey. I followed your steps listed prior to this photo.

If I mount the pickup at less of an angle it is too deep and I don’t have adequate clearance. I used a 1/2” object marked with grease, installed the pan, and had grease on the pan without even settling the pan into place. The photo is more or less to show the extreme angle if I wanted to mount it at the “correct” depth.

I know the angle is too extreme, but I thought the M-99HV-S kit would work well with the 4qt based on my readings.

The tool was straight, it is not a great photo and I shouldn’t have included it. I’ll check again.

I called it quits and set valve lash instead. Will look at the pickup again on Thursday. I suspect I’ll install the 5qt once it gets here and it won’t be an issue after that.

Appreciate your thoughts.