Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Touche... My bad man, stressful day. My brain isn't functioning properly. Thank you for your help!
That pump isn’t cheap, RockAuto has the best price and that Sunsong is a good hose, I also used that hose for my 96 recently.

KCusick81

Reaction score
Another quick question for anyone who may have experience with it, a FB buddy of mine has a Tuff Stuff 6162B power steering pump he said he'd sell me for $140. Do any of you have experience with this brand/model? Will it bypass the EVO? From what I'm seeing $140 is a damn good price. Will I still need a different hose, like the Sunsong 3401439 that @Caman96 mentioned?

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It looks like to me you’d have to add the EVO delete to that model. It covers 96-2013.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Will I still need a different hose, like the Sunsong 3401439 that @Caman96 mentioned?

Yes, you'll need the '96 pump and pressure line. I also bought a new power steering pulley in case the old one was somehow damaged during removal. My original turned out to be OK, but I used the new one anyway. Cardone 3P25160.

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, you'll need the '96 pump and pressure line. I also bought a new power steering pulley in case the old one was somehow damaged during removal. My original turned out to be OK, but I used the new one anyway. Cardone 3P25160.

I simply replaced the EVO on my ‘98 pump with a flow control orifice/union and used the non-EVO high pressure line.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I simply replaced the EVO on my ‘98 pump with a flow control orifice/union and used the non-EVO high pressure line.

Also a good option, and less costly than buying the whole pump for sure. My original pump also had a slow leak so I figured I'd just replace it.

Do you have a link (or part number) for the flow control orifice you used? That was another reason I was inclined to purchase a complete '96 pump, I wasn't sure which flow rate would be a match for the stock '96 non-EVO setup. Didn't want to end up over/under boosted.

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also a good option, and less costly than buying the whole pump for sure.

Do you have a link (or part number) for the flow control orifice you used?

I used the “flow control orifice / union” that GM selected to provide in their “EVO delete” kit (kit’s p/n - 19168825). I have neither a p/n nor the gal/min rating of the flow control orifice.

However, the flow control orifice / union is commonly available at retail in stock flow rates, with 3gal/min, 2.5gal/min and 2gal/min versions being common.

The dimensional relationships between the different flow control orifices is mentioned here:

Post in thread 'Fast Ratio Steering Box For OBS-GMT 400-Here's How I Did It Cheap'
https://www.gmt400.com/threads/fast...0-heres-how-i-did-it-cheap.59812/post-1275834

and in the attached document.

There’s a TREMENDOUS amount of misinformation “out there” on the Internet (and some on GMT400) about how the power steering system actually functions, in particular the purpose of the:

- flow control orifice (listed as “fitting” in the first figure below and as “union” in the second, both figures from GM technical docs)

- flow control valve, and

- flow control spring

Let the reader be advised.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

Attachments

• Power Steering Pump Pressure Flows-09OC2013.pdf
    446 KB · Views: 0
Last edited: