Oil fouled, or carbon or what?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Junkie2100

Reaction score
Is your question that crappy plugs can make the engine run bad for years; or
an engine running bad for years can make the plugs look crappy?

Either way...the answer is "yes".

Get new plugs. Verify the cap, rotor, plug wires. Test for ignition coil spark output using a spark tester calibrated for HEI ignition. Probably install a fresh O2 sensor.

Drain the old gas out of the tank--pull the fuel filter, run the fuel pump until the tank is empty. Refill with fresh gas and a new filter. Test fuel pressure. Change oil. Make sure no oil is coming up through a failed PCV system.

Then connect a scan tool, look at all the sensor data; and all the output data. See what--if anything--looks goofy.
also, fuel tank(and obviously all gasoline), filter, all lines, and pump, plus entire distributor including cap and rotor and module, and the coil were all replaced about 6 months ago. fuel sender and the regulator were replaced about a year ago. pressure runs 15psi consistently currently was about 10 most of the time before.

scanned regularly, havent seen anything that sticks out, but it only hesitates for a fraction of a second but i can tell its doing it, and yea the rpms look funky, the map changes, etc, but its hard to tell if the map is dropping because the engine is stalling or the engine is stalling because the map is throwing it off, its difficult to say on a lot of things if its the chicken or the egg. and i never have the ability to scan it or check fuel pressure or whatever when its dead and wont start. that situation happens so randomly when im out and about with it i cant nail it down. sometimes itll run around town for hours without an issue, sometimes itll die randomly after 4 hours, sometimes itll die after being driven for 30 minutes, but i havent been able to recreate it in the driveway and believe me ive tried

Junkie2100

Reaction score
also as mentioned i did a proper compression test, i have a tester it was fine last i checked it and it was acting up long before i did. as far as a coolant test, knowing its got a leak somewhere not sure what pressure testing the coolant system would tell me that i dont already know