Odd way to do crank relearn... does it matter?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

EJ_74

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
So a few months ago I swapped the computer on my '00 OBS with a tuned one. One of the things I heard about doing when changing computers or engines was to do a crankshaft position variation relearn. I had no DTCs for this but was trying to chase down some spark knock and slight misfire counts at idle. My scan tool is not capable of doing the relearn so I borrowed one. I put in all the information for my truck (2000 year model, C2500 over 8600 GVWR, federal emissions, etc.) and found the box to do the ckp procedure. But when I tried to do it, the scan tool would eventually freeze. I turned it off and on and tried again, and this time it said something like "no information for this function on this vehicle". I tried a few more times and it kept doing either of those two things. So then I wanted to try something. I entered it in as a 1998 C1500 (still 5.7 engine, federal emissions, auto trans). Tried the procedure again, followed the steps on the screen. Key off, park brake on, start engine, press and hold brake, rev to 4k and release. And the scan tool said relearn performed successfully. This did not make any noticeable difference to the running of the truck. It did not help with the pinging or misfire counts.

So I'm wondering. Even though I didn't do the procedure 100% accurately, does it still work? Wouldn't a '98 and '00 with a 5.7 have the same relearn procedure? And it said it went through successfully. It wasn't a brand new or dealership scanner though. I think it was an OTC Genesis.

Also, I heard there was something where when you create a tune for the PCM you can enter the vin/model year that it will display as? Is there any chance the tuner could have just named it a 98 1500 and that's why it didn't work when I tried a 2000 2500?

Any input appreciated.