New to me 99 GMC K1500 'Burb

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Hi all, new to forum and wanted to introduce myself. Last week I picked up a 99 GMC Suburban SLT K1500 (burgundy and gold) 160k mi. Pretty good shape considering the age! The paint was sun-checked pretty bad and she had that southern "pollen and algae" patina, but a few hours with a buffer and she shined right up.
There's an exhaust leak before one of the cats so I already ordered the manifold-back 2 cat replacement part to handle that, but where Im struggling is finding a nice cat-back system with dual outs that exit behind each rear tire. Unless anyone has any suggestions, my guess is that I'll have to have the local exhaust shop bend something up for me.
Lastly, anyone have any suggestions for rear shocks that are good for towing? Back end is sittin about an inch lower than the front currently, and I'd like to get it a bit higher.

Keeper

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
welcome aboard! We need pics please!

A local exhaust shop sounds like a good plan. The Bilstein 4600's are the standard shock, but they aren't going to "lift" the rear. Are you sure someone didn't crank your torsion bar keys up front? If so, crank them back down to level the truck, unless tire size prohibits that. If you need to add lift in the rear, it's just a proper sized block, new u bolts, etc. If you do do a rear lift, you may want to upgrade the rear shocks to the Bilstein 5100's.

Reaction score
welcome aboard! We need pics please!

A local exhaust shop sounds like a good plan. The Bilstein 4600's are the standard shock, but they aren't going to "lift" the rear. Are you sure someone didn't crank your torsion bar keys up front? If so, crank them back down to level the truck, unless tire size prohibits that. If you need to add lift in the rear, it's just a proper sized block, new u bolts, etc. If you do do a rear lift, you may want to upgrade the rear shocks to the Bilstein 5100's.
Pics coming soon! The hood and roof is sunchecked so Im waiting on colormatch paint to arrive. Im pretty sure the suspension is stock as almost everything on this truck is as well. Are blocks safe to tow with? Thank you for the advice