Need Code Reader for truck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dnthomas

Reaction score
1995 GMC Sierra shop trying to find a reader that will work with my OBD1 connection. Now I want buy one myself but I really need help with info on buying a scanner that will work with my truck. Going to try to post a picture of my connector.

You must be registered for see images attach

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
1995 GMC Sierra shop trying to find a reader that will work with my OBD1 connection. Now I want buy one myself but I really need help with info on buying a scanner
Do you want a "code reader", or do you want a real scan tool?

Hint: "Code readers" are essentially garbage. "Codes" can be useful, but the real diagnostic power is the data stream and the bi-directional control.

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Do you want a "code reader", or do you want a real scan tool?

Hint: "Code readers" are essentially garbage. "Codes" can be useful, but the real diagnostic power is the data stream and the bi-directional control.
Yes, like @Schurkey said. You can get the codes with a paperclip. Best to get a scan toll that you can use over and over and stop throwing parts at problems. So many times a parts store gets a code reader for you and pulls codes for free and then somehow does a diagnostic on the spot and tells you that you need this and that part. Hell, most of them don't even have a code reader for OBD1.

By the way, what kind of problem is this shop trying to track down? Not much of a shop if they can't even get the codes with a paperclip.