Miles Recorded?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gibson

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Was looking at a '97 Sub, the odometer doesn't work.
I just wondered if the real milage is recorded and if it can be accessed with a scan tool, (no, I don't have a scan tool).

The_Family_Tahoe

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
@Gibson
In Texas, the state records the mileage at each annual inspection. A carfax report will show each year's recorded mileage. If the vehicle has been inspected annually you may find the year the odometer quit working and then use math to estimate the current mileage.
As an example, if the recorded mileage went up 10k on average at each annual inspection and then stopped increasing at the 2019 inspection, you could estimate, based on the vehicle history of 10k miles per year, to add another 60k miles to the odometer to estimate miles driven.
For me though, these trucks are 30ish years old now, and mileage may not be the best indicator of how many miles are left on the vehicle. If the truck appears we'll maintained, is not all full of trash, the AC works, and the interior is in one peice, it drives nice and isn't all full of rattles, I'd probably consider a purchase regardless of what the odometer says.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Was looking at a '97 Sub, the odometer doesn't work.
I just wondered if the real milage is recorded and if it can be accessed with a scan tool, (no, I don't have a scan tool).

My Volvo does that, but I'm not sure how common that is with other manufacturers. I have to use a Volvo specific app to see that info on my car. I've never seen that option with my ancient ODD2 scanner on my truck.

Gibson

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks' for the replies.
I kinda thought that the computer didn't have enough brains to know the milage. ;)
Jeepers, I can do/fix most anything on those rigs, but I hate having to do stuff like pulling apart instrument panels.
I don't like to work on anything behind the dashboard. :(

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Thanks' for the replies.
I kinda thought that the computer didn't have enough brains to know the milage.

On my Volvo it's the instrument cluster itself that retains the info. I guess it's got a built in "module". I check the mileage electronically because the odometer has a broken gear. I intend to fix it once day, but I also hate dash work.