MAF on traditional round air cleaner?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KansasOBS

Not Awesome
Reaction score
Hey all,

I dunno if I'll be doing this, just not sure if I'll end up messing with it, but I despise cone air filters. The china ones are almost see through, and K&N thinks their crap is gold.

So Ive been looking at swapping the 6.0 over to a traditional style 4 barrel EFI intake, with a 4150 throttle body.

My first thought is to find an old factory round GM air filter housing off like a squarebody or something, and modify the snorkel part to mount a MAF. Hour or two with some sheet metal, and a welder would do the trick, but since I'm not pressing to get it done anyhow, just thought I would ask.

Anyone else have any ideas?

As of now I'm kind of at two options, either the air cleaner mod, or just setting up the ECM for a speed density tune, and ditching the MAF all together, but this is a driver and not a race truck.

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I dunno if I'll be doing this, just not sure if I'll end up messing with it, but I despise cone air filters. The china ones are almost see through, and K&N thinks their crap is gold.

So Ive been looking at swapping the 6.0 over to a traditional style 4 barrel EFI intake, with a 4150 throttle body.

My first thought is to find an old factory round GM air filter housing off like a squarebody or something, and modify the snorkel part to mount a MAF. Hour or two with some sheet metal, and a welder would do the trick, but since I'm not pressing to get it done anyhow, just thought I would ask.

As of now I'm kind of at two options, either the air cleaner mod, or just setting up the ECM for a speed density tune, and ditching the MAF all together, but this is a driver and not a race truck.
I think as long as the breather is well sealed and the MAF has a tight connection to the snorkel you should be good to go. MaxEx could probably give you more info on tuning with a MAF. I'm a K.I.S.S. kinda guy so speed density works better for me.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey all,

Just delete the MAF and run a HP Tuners speed density custom operating system. It is what I did on the P59 now running the 1987 G20. I have a dual plane manifold, 4150 throttle body and a massive 454 TBI G30 van air cleaner setup on it. Only need to add a remote Vortec/LT1 style 2 wire IAT to it. On the 454 air cleaner base I drilled a hole and used a grommet that actually came with the Proflow system to mount that early 2 wire style IAT inside the filter to keep dirt and gunk out of the open IAT sensor tip. The van air cleaner came with the hot air part non existant as well from the factory. No heat riser tube off the manifold to choke the engine on hot air. I am sure the 454 van had plenty of engine compartment heat to pre-heat the air cleaner even in winter. My IATs still hover 140-150F around town in summer with the cold air only intake. I purposely left the stud long as well in the event I wanted to buy the $50 5" tall filter to run the taller motorhome/square body lid.

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The HP Tuners P59 speed density code adds a table that allows you to adjust the air/fuel ratio based off TPS and RPM as well allowing for an adjustment similar to Alpha N for low idle vacuum setups. I have not had to mess with it yet on my 350 that pulls 20 in/hg idle vacuum but I suppose a healthy cammed engine might benifit from it.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I will add I recently tuned a dual quad dual plane Holley MPFI manifold with dual 1,000 cfm 4150 throttle bodies on a 408 LS in a 1964 Impala using the stock air cleaner. He ended up adapting 409 valve covers over the LS valve covers and coil packs. Has a 4L80E in it. It definitely throws people off at first. Nice driving and running car. We ended up using a block off plug on one of the IACs and run a non progressive linkage. Throttle response is insane although if it were my car it would have 3 pedals and a 6spd rather than the 4L80E slush box. It was a dual quad 409, 4spd car to start with but the 409 and 4spd were long gone. It had a 283 and glide in it when he got it. I probably would have built a 480+ cid 409 for it if it were my car rather than a LS too, given that the aftermarket is casting 409 blocks and heads now. Still would have been injected but would have been true to its W engine roots.

Last edited:

KansasOBS

Not Awesome
Reaction score
Hmmm, thats something to ponder. In the past I have done a few MAF delete swaps for people, so not completely lost to that part of it. Honestly missing a lot of knowledge as far as tuning. Get the basics of it, but also for example not sure if I would have to tune if I did the MAF with round air cleaner. Kinds suspect so, but really no clue.

Been looking a little at the "LS7" card MAF. That would be a little cleaner solution, and pin over with the same plug. Though also not sure again if I would have to do anything in HPtuners.

Suppose I should also mention that I don't have hptuners yet. Cash needs to go to so many other places, kinda why Im debating this swap.....just really really hate cone air filters, cant even explain how much I want to rip this garbage off, and throw it as far as I can see. A nice simple round air cleaner, on speed density would look good. Old school.

I'm going to have to get hptuners eventually, cause I just aint forking out that kind of money for a tune, and having to rely on someone else when I change things. Also I need to turn off some O2 heater resistance codes.

I suppose it would rely on my ability, or lack of abiliy, but think I could get about the same MPG with speed density and no MAF?

Actually debated on going with a dual 4150 intake, or a single 4500 (dominator). Had been looking at the 408 kits, but at the same time I might as well just find a 6.2. Really need to just stay focused on keeping it a good driver and not race truck. Things spiral.

Komet

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You can do pretty much anything with a Speed Density tune that you can do with a MAF. It's better to have both of course, but it's not needed to still have a great tune. If you want to keep the MAF, pipe it into an airbox attached to the fender hole so you don't have to see the filter. Actually you should do that anyway so it's not inflating your IATs sucking hot air.

KansasOBS

Not Awesome
Reaction score
MPG is really the only main concern to keep as high as possible with modifications.

Coming back to edit this, after realizing how dumb I can be sometimes. My idea would have the MAF outside the filter, ain't gonna work for the conditions this truck see's.

Last edited: