LS swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tuffy331

Reaction score
I was interested to know what LS motor is a good swap into a obs chevy in place of a 5.7 sbc. Idc about the efi system or making the motor run, I can do that, but as far as getting the ls in there and bolted up. Are all ls's basically the same? Could you use the stock LS serptine system on an obs and have the alternator hook up pretty easy (with a few wire modifications)? Same with powersteering? I'm guessing they make motormount swap kits and the LS would bolt to my 4l60e, does the ls absolutely require that 5th bolt on the top of the transmission bell housing, or can u run the older style 4l60e without that 5th bolt? If You have an ls swapped obs chevy, I'd love to hear how you made it work with the factory components outside the motor, like powersteering, starter, alternator and possibly ac.

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Here we go again!!! Lol

This YouTube series has a LOT of information, especially the wiring.
Try and grab a 3rd gen 6.0 if you can. Or plan on cam swapping a 5.3.
Try and get the earlier ones without the DOD or VVT, or be prepared to delete that stuff, which means opening the motor up.
Try and get a complete pull out motor and transmission if you can, along with all the wiring, ECM and fuse box, even the exhaust manifolds with the pipe cut behind the O2 sensors, don't worry about the rear ones unless you want to run cats. If you get a DBW, get the TAC module and gas pedal as well.
Power steering lines should swap right over, unless you get a engine with Hydroboost.
Bolt on the transmission is a non issue.

There is other small stuff like oil pressure sensor adapters, potentially a new fuel pump, running new fuel lines etc. But some of that depends on what engine you get and what year of truck you are putting it in. 95+, your fuel pump should be ok.

And not to sound snarky but there are a LOT of threads about LS swaps on here. Search function up top is your friend. Or Google search with gmt400 behind the question will bring you back here. And if there is something specific, ask, lots of smart people here to help. I'm getting ready to put a 2003 LQ4 6.0 in my 91. So I know just enough to be dangerous! Lol

And YouTube videos about these swaps are very plentiful, the one below seems to nail most of it.
Good luck, start a build thread and we can follow along on your journey.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Sean Buick 76

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Here we go again!!! Lol

This YouTube series has a LOT of information, especially the wiring.
Try and grab a 3rd gen 6.0 if you can. Or plan on cam swapping a 5.3.
Try and get the earlier ones without the DOD or VVT, or be prepared to delete that stuff, which means opening the motor up.
Try and get a complete pull out motor and transmission if you can, along with all the wiring, ECM and fuse box, even the exhaust manifolds with the pipe cut behind the O2 sensors, don't worry about the rear ones unless you want to run cats. If you get a DBW, get the TAC module and gas pedal as well.
Power steering lines should swap right over, unless you get a engine with Hydroboost.
Bolt on the transmission is a non issue.

There is other small stuff like oil pressure sensor adapters, potentially a new fuel pump, running new fuel lines etc. But some of that depends on what engine you get and what year of truck you are putting it in. 95+, your fuel pump should be ok.

And not to sound snarky but there are a LOT of threads about LS swaps on here. Search function up top is your friend. Or Google search with gmt400 behind the question will bring you back here. And if there is something specific, ask, lots of smart people here to help. I'm getting ready to put a 2003 LQ4 6.0 in my 91. So I know just enough to be dangerous! Lol

And YouTube videos about these swaps are very plentiful, the one below seems to nail most of it.
Good luck, start a build thread and we can follow along on your journey.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
Your have to copy and paste this reply every week on here as new members join lol.