Lookin for headers for the 4.3L. What has everyone found?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rebelyell

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok, I wanna throw headers on my 97 c1500 with the 4.3L. Reading through previous posts, people have found some. But all the posts are a couple years old, and my own research has come up bleak. Does anyone have any suggestions?

p.s I do plan on dropping in a 350, but that’s down the road a ways yet
At first, I agreed to save the header money and spend it on a 350 swap. But I digress ...
Instead, I vote save up for your trade up to a nicer truck that came equipped with 350 / L31.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
@kennythewelder - can we move this thread to Engine Performance and Maintenance?

It may get more visibility/responses there.

"I" would have suggested the Exhaust sub-forum.
Thanks guys for looking out. I appreciate it. It is very easy to move a thread. I just kind of glanced at the thread, since I checked this sight, while taking a break, from working on my 1979 Corvette. I actually thought the PO was asking about heads, and not headers. The thread, is where it belongs now. Thanks again.
You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

NickTransmissions

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys for looking out. I appreciate it. It is very easy to move a thread. I just kind of glanced at the thread, since I checked this sight, while taking a break, from working on my 1979 Corvette. I actually thought the PO was asking about heads, and not headers. The thread, is where it belongs now. Thanks again.
Thanks, again Kenny! I had no idea there was an exhaust subforum or would have suggested it instead of the main engine forum.

Very nice Vette.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Very nice Vette.
Thanks. The PO was Autocross racing the car. It's very fast, and very responsive. Runs 12 second quarter mile times. Also has new interior, with vintage air. I love my Vette. Lots of Edelbrock parts on it. It has its original L-82, 4 bolt main 350 ( numbers matching) and it's original 4 speed, also numbers matching. I rebuilt the diff about 6 or 8 months ago. It is the OE diff, with 370 gears. The car is a lot of fun to drive.

rebelyell

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks. The PO was Autocross racing the car. It's very fast, and very responsive. Runs 12 second quarter mile times. Also has new interior, with vintage air. I love my Vette. Lots of Edelbrock parts on it. It has its original L-82, 4 bolt main 350 ( numbers matching) and it's original 4 speed, also numbers matching. I rebuilt the diff about 6 or 8 months ago. It is the OE diff, with 370 gears. The car is a lot of fun to drive.
1979 --- final year for C3 with the "good' diff. :waytogo:

Road Trip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No offence but I wouldn’t really consider mid 12s to be fast but each to thier own

Given that it's a '79, and it's ~2.5 seconds faster than the stock 15-second
1/4 mile times, I know that if I saw this in action in person I would be thinking
it's a sleeper. (July '79 Hot Rod article)

As a matter of fact, right after he kicked my @$$ I would pull up next to him and
give him a big thumbs up! :0) Sure, this may not be the absolute fastest 2-seater
on the road, but I've worked on/driven several of this vintage 'vette, and something
about looking down that long hood times the soundtrack of a sharp V8, it just does
everything right for yours truly. And a former autocross car running in the 12s
would just be my cup of tea.

Never owned a 'vette, but was always around them & worked on plenty of them.
Fun stuff. If I won a lottery ticket, I'd own a twin to that machine in a heartbeat. :0)

Last edited:

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Given that it's a '79, and it's ~2.5 seconds faster than the stock 15-second
1/4 mile times, I know that if I saw this in action in person I would be thinking
it's a sleeper. (July '79 Hot Rod article)

As a matter of fact, right after he kicked my @$$ I would pull up next to him and
give him a big thumbs up! :0) Sure, this may not be the absolute fastest 2-seater
on the road, but I've worked on/driven several of this vintage 'vette, and something
about looking down that long hood times the soundtrack of a sharp V8, it just does
everything right for yours truly. And a former autocross car running in the 12s
would just be my cup of tea.

Never owned a 'vette, but was always around them & worked on plenty of them.
Fun stuff. If I won a lottery ticket, I'd own a twin to that machine in a heartbeat. :0)
Mid 12s @ 110 mph is what my 1980 former L82 car ran with a cammed L30 305 and a junkyard TH250 in it. The TH250 ended up being free, junkyard I used all the time sold it as a TH350, got it into the car and noticed metric stamped into the pan then the band adjustment set screw. He did not have an actual TH350 to replace it with and I used the guy all the time for other stuff, he just gave me credit on my next purchase from him. Said leave it in the car and give me a call when it blows up and I will see if I have a TH350 by that point. Funny thing is it never did. I always babied it off the line a bit, the stock half shafts and rear-end are not very tolerant of wheelhop especially with the later composite single leaf spring. I would stick the Q-Jet hard on the primaries, then roll the rest of the way into it to open the secondaries about the time I was rolling past the tree. I had a few guys claim I was lying that car was a 305 until they looked at the casting number and goggled it.

Last edited:

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the trans had "Metric" stamped into the pan, it was a TH200, not a TH250 which uses the same pan as the more-common TH350.. Good first-gear ratio, and low rotating weight. Weakass everywhere else. I'm told they're getting used in low-level circle-track events.

The 200 is a 50K mile time-bomb. The one that came in Mom's '77 Concours (Nova) lasted about 48--49K before scattering. I kept the core for years, but it got lost or stolen. Kinda wish I still had it--it was numbers-matching to the car.