Lift questions? Any ideas.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

UtOBS

Reaction score
Ok, I’m getting a lift on my 1990 single cab step side z71.

Right now it’s on stock tire size, stock height.

The old owner put Monroe shocks on it.

It rides like a brick. Hit washboards at anything other than an idle and i swear I go airborn in the seat. My old man’s Toyota tundra is a 2012 and he’s got the whole suspension redone on it to make it stiff as a brick so he could pull big loads because Toyota doesn’t make a 2500 or 3500. Somehow, that damn tundra still rides smoother.

Anyway, does anyone make softer leafs for these trucks?

Also I know this is contradicting to what I just said about wanting a smoother ride but iv also thought about lifting it and lifted trucks always ride worse than stock

So if I do go that route, I’m wondering, how do the tuff country ez ride springs ride. Iv thought about blocks mainly because I don’t want to make it ride any worse than it already does and typically lift springs ride stiffer.

If I do lift here is what I’m thinking and if anyone has any ideas on a smooth ride let me know.

Bilstein 5100 knock offs. My buddies owns fat bobs garage, one of the big off-road outfitting shops in utah. He has his own brand of shocks where he essentially copied the bilsteins as much as he legally could. I had them on my Toyota 4 runner and loved them, used to blast dirt roads at 50 in that thing. He makes 2 inch lift shocks for our trucks.

So I’m thinking 2 inch lift in the rear with ether blocks or leafs depending on how much stiffer the leafs will ride.

As for the front I want a 3 inch to level it. It stink bugs pretty bad right now. What is the best way to go about lifting the front 3 inches? Iv heard keys ride like **** so that’s out of the options. Any other ideas?

I’m from the Toyota world where every company makes everything. Not a ton of options for these truck it seems like. I know it will never ride like my Toyotas, as off-road and reliability is what they are known for, but I refuse to believe that my ride quality can’t get any better as it’s so **** right now.

I don’t want anymore lift than 3 inches in the front. As for the rear if I can’t find any 2 inch lift leafs or blocks and I’m forced to go with 3 I will and just let it stink bug.

95burban

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Deaver leafs in the rear might help, avoid cranking the torsion bars

UtOBS

Reaction score
Are you sure the crappy ride isn't simply the fault of the garbage shocks that are on it?
Could be. That’s why I’m replacing them.
Any experience with rough country 2-3 inch lift? Thought about getting it and then replacing the shocks with bilsteins.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Could be. That’s why I’m replacing them.
Any experience with rough country 2-3 inch lift? Thought about getting it and then replacing the shocks with bilsteins.

Bad idea, it'll have your ball joints at terrible angles. I have a 2500 leaf pack out back, some heavier bars up front, a little bit of crank, and Bilstein 4600 on my 1500. It rides bad, but not broken bad. My 2500 and 3500 seem to ride nicer, but they also have much thicker frames.

99xcss4

92g-94c frank'n (truburban) K-2500
Reaction score