Just got my copy of the service manual in; it's a bit bigger than I expected

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jonlandrum

Reaction score
I like service manuals, my oldest one is like 3/8"ish thick. Every year they just get bigger.
I was thinking the same thing. My last vehicle was a 2006 Jeep Wrangler and its service manual was maybe an inch thick. I never would have imagined this one would be eight reams worth of paper. They literally shipped it in a copy paper box, and it filled it up. It's nuts. My wife asked where I'm going to put it, and hell, I might put it back in the box it shipped in and throw it on the back seat.

Cadillacmak

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I was thinking the same thing. My last vehicle was a 2006 Jeep Wrangler and its service manual was maybe an inch thick. I never would have imagined this one would be eight reams worth of paper. They literally shipped it in a copy paper box, and it filled it up. It's nuts. My wife asked where I'm going to put it, and hell, I might put it back in the box it shipped in and throw it on the back seat.
I will need to build a bigger cabinet to get a newer truck.

Attachments

• 20240924_141900_022246.jpg
    20240924_141900_022246.jpg
    343.8 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_20240924_141807043.jpg
    IMG_20240924_141807043.jpg
    242.7 KB · Views: 4

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Yup! Dad had a four drawer heavy duty filing cabinet, that he kept most of the shop manuals in. 50s, 60s, 70s GM stuff. I've sold a few but still have some. Back in the day, Chevy had a "service manual" for most repairs, an "overhaul manual" for rebuilding components, and a Fisher Body manual for body and some interior stuff.
My '99 Burb has the set of four books (I'm missing #4) ; I think '98 was the first year of four books. Rawhide, being a '97, only requires two books (as pictured) and a separate transmission manual. I know these are on the forum in digital format but I am old school enough to want a paper manual in front of me when I tackle a new job....
Part of the reason why there are so many more pages, is there are a LOT of diagnostic sections, and so much more computer controls and sensors, the newer you get. We looked at getting the set of books for the 2006 Denali... until we saw they were over $300 for six volumes.