Introduction and Tire Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

991500Burb

Reaction score
Hi Everyone.
I have a 1999 K1500 Suburban that is a garage queen. I basically only bring it out for vacations. I've owned it since 2008 when gas was $4/gal. I got a great price on it because the dealer confused it with another 1999 Burb that was on the lot which was in bad condition! I didn't find that out until I went to insure and the VIN didn't match. The dealer honored the price he sold it to me for and I got the VIN issue worked out.
During covid I put in a new GM performance 5.7 Vortec with a spider injection. I was afraid of taking long trips with the family on a motor with 300k miles, although it was working fine when I removed it. I just put a RedHead steering gearbox in it (old one was leaking) and replaced the rag joint shaft with a U-joint type from Cunningham Machine (great support from Jeremy at CM!).
I got a set of refurbished OEM alum rims and need a new set of tires to put on it. The truck is fairly stock but I did put a 1" lift block in the rear and cranked to torsion bars some to get some more front lift.
The door label says use 245/75R16 tires, although I am leaning toward BGGoodrich Trail-Terrain T/As 265/75R16. the 265s are about 1" taller that the 245s. Has anyone had experiance with the BFGoodrich tires? Is my handling going to be much worse with the 265s? I've rebuilt much of the front end including the sway bar bushings, but I still do get a bit on lean during cornering. It's mostly a summer highway driver but I do take on ski trips in the winter.

Trio

Gold member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You'll be fine with those size and brand tires - in fact the 265s were an OEM option on Z71 tahoes and silverados. And those tires should work perfectly fine for your type and amount of driving. But we need to see pics, or course... ;)

991500Burb

Reaction score
You'll be fine with those size and brand tires - in fact the 265s were an OEM option on Z71 tahoes and silverados. And those tires should work perfectly fine for your type and amount of driving. But we need to see pics, or course... ;)
I have plenty of pictures of it in various state of teardown, but not many glam shots! Here it is with the trailer I tow occasionally:
You must be registered for see images attach

jaywestfall

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah, welcome. I grew up in Indiana, but we moved to Texas about 30 years ago. Was just back home earlier this month, though!

991500Burb

Reaction score
Yeah, welcome. I grew up in Indiana, but we moved to Texas about 30 years ago. Was just back home earlier this month, though!
I'm in northern IN near the Dunes. Out of all the cars and trucks I've owned over the years, the Burb is my favorite! It will do anything I need of it! I get many compliments on it's condition when traveling.

991500Burb

Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Here she is with the new 265 tires and refurbished rims.