Installing LED's to my CHMSL and Cargo lamp

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
I want to install size 921 LED bulbs to the CHMSL and cargo lamp. I want to make sure I'm wiring the 50w 6ohm resistors correctly. Using the wiring diagram, from what I understand, one wire of the resistor would splice into the DK BLU/WHT wire connecting at "C" and the other wire to the white wire at "A". Then for the Stop lamps, one wire to BLK at "B" and the other WHT at "D". Or do I need to wire one resistor to each bulb?

Edit: these are the bulbs I'm attempting to install. When I go to install them they dont turn on at all and the base got hot.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

Attachments

• IMG-7277.jpg
    IMG-7277.jpg
    338.3 KB · Views: 3
  • Screen Shot 2024-07-22 at 9.42.10 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2024-07-22 at 9.42.10 AM.png
    943.8 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
This is the first I've heard of anyone needing to add resistors to the third brake light wiring for LEDs. Usually that's to fix issues with LEDs in the turn signals or constantly glowing signal indicators in the cluster.

What I do know is that you need to be very careful that the LEDs used in the third brake light have bases that aren't any larger than a standard 921 bulb, and you need to make sure that the contacts on the LEDs are arranged properly so as to prevent a short when installed. More info here:

https://www.gmt400.com/threads/switching-to-led-external-lights-and-ran-into-this.44311/

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Why are you installing resistors? In detail. Who told you or explain the circuit requirements.

Reaction score
Why are you installing resistors? In detail. Who told you or explain the circuit requirements.
I attempted to install these LEDs but they aren't working at all and the lamp base got very hot. I switch the polarity but still get nothing.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2024-07-22 at 9.42.10 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2024-07-22 at 9.42.10 AM.png
    943.8 KB · Views: 6

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I attempted to install these LEDs but they aren't working at all and the lamp base got very hot. I switch the polarity but still get nothing.

Resistors won't fix that, get those out of there. Same style PCB LEDs that I tried in mine and created smoke/blown fuses many years ago. The bases on those are thicker than a standard 921 bulb and will cause issues with the housing contacts, plus the LED contacts are most likely arranged incorrectly which is why you're getting heat and no light. They're shorting. Check that thread I linked above, you want LEDs like that with thinner bases that look like a standard 921 bulb. You may have to modify the contacts as described there as well.

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
Unlike normal bulbs that have a lead on each wedge end, LEDs can be wired by their manufacturer with leads on BOTH SIDES of BOTH ENDS, but they'll be wired so both sides have the same polarity on each end... The CHMSL and cargo lamp housing bulb contacts ARE NOT DESIGNED LIKE MOST BULB SOCKETS!!! Most sockets have one contact for each END of the bulb wedge that contacts both sides of the wedge, but most standard bulbs only have a contact on one side of the wedge on both ends as mentioned above... The CHMSL/Cargo light socket contacts are NOT like this in that each contact is on ONE SIDE of the wedge. If you have a four-contact bulb, you WILL 100% short out the housing every single time. ALL bulbs installed in the CHMSL/Cargo housing MUST have only one contact PER SIDE, PER END of the wedge.

Your bulbs in the photos above will not work unless you file down a contact on each side of the circuit board.

o : o
o : o = your bulbs now, where o is a contact.

o :
...: o = what they need to look like (ignore the periods, I had to get the : in line somehow lol)