Ignition coil issues?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I get stopped on my first check...
Step 2...Is it just looking for infinite resistance to the mounting bracket itself? Wouldn't it want infinite resistance all the way to battery negative then?
You're testing the coil, not the entire vehicle. Yes, you should have no continuity between the primary/secondary windings and the metal of the mounting tab.

That would also mean no continuity all the way to battery negative...but each inch of conductor, each connection increases resistance and makes it harder to determine whether or not there is continuity. So testing at the coil mounting tab--and leaving it at that--is the logical answer.

I'm getting flaky readings in the Megaohms readings and sometimes infinite when I scratch the mounting bracket.....I'm not sure what's going on.... But from negative battery cable terminal ...not connected to battery, I'm only getting about 4 megaohms pretty consistently... Getting flaky high megaohm readings at various ground points/metal......Do I have a paint or coating issue?
Kinda guessing you're getting false/flaky readings which may or may not be based on some sort of weird capacitance/coupling between your meter and the vehicle.

Or bum test leads.

Or maybe a bum meter.

just checked again and it really looks like I'm getting about 7megs at that first #1 in the picture test...
Got about .6ohms on the second test....and it was flaky..My meter seems solid...but it's almost like I can't get a good connection...even on the second #2 test.... really had to dig around to get a sweet spot for the reading....
jeez
even my #3 test is flaky ....going from low ohms to infinity and back to 10megs...all over the place....wtf?
When my meter gave me crazy results like that, I contemplated sending my multimeter back to Fluke.

Instead, I put different meter leads from a cheap multimeter into the sockets of the meter, and the crazy readings stopped.

That lead me to buy new, quality meter leads. Amazon has more than a dozen brands; be sure to get silicone insulation not PVC.

As for ohm readings when you're expecting a result under about 5 ohms--and certainly under one or two ohms--you'll need to measure the resistance of your test leads and subtract that amount from your meter reading. My new test leads have 0.2 ohms all on their own. If the meter shows 0.6 ohms, I'd have to mentally adjust that downward by 0.2 ohms for a true result of 0.4.

scott2093

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm using my trusty (even fairly recently recapped) Fluke 8060A with Probe Master leads. It seems to be working as it should in other tasks ....although I haven't recalibrated it ....I'll try a different meter...... I'll see my mistake tomorrow I'm sure...
Kinda over it for now...
Worse case, I have a couple of other coils I can compare....although it seems unlikely these readings being so janky would point to that...

scott2093

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just tried an LCR meter I have....Everything seems to check out so far...Weird...
It's 20 megaohms max....looking quick the Fluke is 300megaohms? really?...
For test #3 they say to put it on max...wonder why.... I got about 7+kohms there.....
test #2 was still kinda hard to find a sweet spot but it was same result as the fluke...ok...
Hmmm

Last edited: