If you bought it new, how would you have built it?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Komet

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If everything worked, my truck would be pretty much exactly what I want.

Has to be pre-vortec for the chassis wiring I need. '92-'94 has the gauges I like, but '94 has the updated grill and '93 doesn't have the AM-ST radio (I think), so it has to be a '92. I like the sawblade wheels so it needs to be 6-lug, but it better be the 2500 so I overload it less bad when I'm doing truck stuff. I need 4x4 for living in the mountains, need the extended cab for hauling groceries, and it better be a short bed because I don't always park like I did in the dealership days.

I always thought the TBI trucks were fine on power but the L31 is a nice motor for a grunty hauling truck and TPI on top makes it really good. I suppose I wouldn't put the 4L60E in it if I was choosing a transmission, it would be either a 4L80E or NV4500.

<controversial>
I'd put a sunroof in it. The kind you can crank up to vent but also detach. Flip up the back seat and that's your roof storage right there. Yep. I know.
</controversial>

boy&hisdogs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Overall I'm pretty happy with the way my truck was optioned out and the modifications I have done to it, but after years of owning it and working on it this is what I would have changed:

2500 or SRW 3500 instead of 1500. Bigger axles and brakes, stronger transmission.

4 door instead of ext cab. It's fine most of the time but a little extra room inside would be nice.

Slightly less lift. A 4-6 kit instead of a full 6 and 35s instead of 37s. It looks cool but once you get above 35s tires get more expensive and choices are more limited. I'm already geared with 4.88s though so it might be too low with 35s.

South VA

K2500 454 Long Roof
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hmmm. I imagine that I'd order the same vehicle - A GMC K2500 Suburban 7.4L, in Emerald Green Metallic; maybe a year or so newer.

Rear heat to go along with the rear air conditioning would be nice, as would heated seats. I'd probably stay with cloth upholstery, since it is so durable, comfortable, and looks good, to me. Auto 4WD.

For the sound system, I’d take it to the same audio shop that installed my components, but this time would go with their components.

fancyTBI

*Sad TBI 350 noises*
Supporting Member
Reaction score
1991 454SS in red with the cognac interior. I would drive the hell out of it.
My 94 K2500 is about how I would option it appearance wise (red on burgundy) but I would’ve preferred a FF and a 5 speed behind the 5.7.

GMTAS400

Reaction score
I did buy it brand new in 1997. Custom ordered it from Gunderson Chevy in El Monte CA. My brother worked there as a mechanic, and I special ordered thru the Fleet Sales guy. I got my brothers Employee Discount. Delivery was 2 months from order date - $22,200 out the door. Loaded Silverado RCSB with Victory Red Paint - Neutral (Tan) Cloth bucket seat interior - 5.7 V8 Vortec Engine - Automatic Transmission - 3.73 Posi rear end - Power everything, cruise control - Factory HD Tow Package with Class 3 receiver. The only modification from stock is the rear shackles to get the tail down a bit.

Attachments

• 1997 Victory Red.jpeg
    1997 Victory Red.jpeg
    290.9 KB · Views: 10

1990Z71Swede

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Simple... 454Vortec 4l80E G80-14 bolt 3.73 geared K yes K1500 Murder black SportSide Silverado with a factory tonneau cover. Chassis set to factory c1500 height, leaf spring air bag combo in the rear. The 12" front brakes. Early style p0rn0 red interior, bench seat. Keyless entry, No radio and a off course a tow hitch. :cool:

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Considering that our driveway looks like a truck brochure from 2000, I think that we'll stick to that theme.
I would order a GMC c3500hd crew cab with a Monroe 4wd conversion in full trim. It would be black with a polished aluminum flatbed, probably 10'. I would order it as a diesel and immediately swap it for a Cummins and regear the axles to make the Cummins happy. The interior would get seat heaters front and rear as well as a Denali center console and metal inside door handles. The entire interior would get ripped out and sound deadened. The windows would be tinted to appear stock. I would convert to composite lights with the matching GMC grill but it would get a billet insert painted black. A full trim diesel bumper would have to go on. In the 90's Pro Comp offered a prerunner bar that attached to the factory bumper and that would happen with 8" stainless Pro Comp lights. Alcoas, enough said. Chrome tube steps. Denali heated mirrors. If I could afford all of that then I could obviously afford the best air ride that 2000 could offer.

I wouldn't stop there though. I would also order a 2000 crew cab short bed K2500 with the 454, NV4500 and 4.10 gears. It would be odd because I'd want heated leather seats and power windows/locks but a rubber floor. It would get tinted windows and a spray in bed liner. Spiral gray was a 99 color but I would try to talk them into it.

Because I obviously have cash falling out of my ****** I can afford a 3rd one. This is another ccsb but this time it is a C2500. I would get the sound deadened full interior from the c3500hd, diesel bumper and cheapest drivetrain that I could buy because it would immediately come out. It would get a 4/6 drop on bags, 17s, the 405 hp Z06 LS6, a T56 and some form of boost. I would also do a step side bed with a step shaver/roll pan/hidden hitch. A flush mount hard tonneau would be required. Keeping with the Corvette theme, it would have to Nassau Blue