If you bought it new, how would you have built it?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

John DeWitt

Reaction score
To clarify any confusion of the title, if you were to have bought brand new your personal GMT400 or any within the bodystyle generation how would you have ordered it from the factory & what would you have changed immediately. Why would you choose the year/features that you did?

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I got my 1500 because it had the 3rd door and was the best color, blue. I added an overhead console, a 4.10/9.5" axle, and driver's bucket seat that would have all been optional. Of course I added a bunch more that wouldn't have been.

For the dually? Not brown interior and an overhead console. But it checked the crew cab dually 4wd 454 4L80 cloth seats boxes as well as having the other options.

Aside from being more used up, I'd say the plow truck is great as is. Maybe a manual transfer case instead of of electric? Crew cab, short bed, 2500, 454/4L80/G80 FTW plus Silverado trim there as well. No vinyl seat work trucks for me!

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Would have been fully loaded 1994 GMC C3500 crew cab dually. Black with grey leather interior. Buckets up front. 454 with a manual transmission.
94 because of new grill, but old square dash.
And it would be in the shop getting a 5/7 lowering job, a Whipple supercharger, headers, dual exhaust. Paint matched grill, bumper, roll pan, shaved tailgate, cowl hood and billet grill. Would also have a Lund moon visor, fiberglass running boards and Stockland sleeper cab with a polished aluminum wing on top. And rolling out on some custom made 17" dually Budnik Hurricanes.
And of course a BANGING Alpine, Precision Power and JL Audio stereo.

Specific enough? Lol

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Would have been fully loaded 1994 GMC C3500 crew cab dually. Black with grey leather interior. Buckets up front. 454 with a manual transmission.
94 because of new grill, but old square dash.
And it would be in the shop getting a 5/7 lowering job, a Whipple supercharger, headers, dual exhaust. Paint matched grill, bumper, roll pan, shaved tailgate, cowl hood and billet grill. Would also have a Lund moon visor, fiberglass running boards and Stockland sleeper cab with a polished aluminum wing on top. And rolling out on some custom made 17" dually Budnik Hurricanes.
And of course a BANGING Alpine, Precision Power and JL Audio stereo.

Specific enough? Lol

You can still do that ya know. ;)

evilunclegrimace

Does not always play well with others
Reaction score
I bought my first GMT 400 brand spankin new in 1988 a K-3500 5.7, 400 transmission, manual windows Dark blue. The only things that I changed was to paint the wheels and grill black and install a G80 Govloc. I had it for 28 years before the salt finally did it in. The only thing that I would have done differently was to have A/C and power windows.

John DeWitt

Reaction score
If I could custom build my order:
1999 Suburban K2500
Bench front seats, 3rd row so I can seat 9
350 Vortec
Electric 4x4 switch
Tailgate, not barn doors
3.73 or higher differential gear ratio
Dual battery
Front & rear Heat/AC

Would change out:
The upholstery for leather.
Upgrade the transmission cooler.
Upgrade to heavier duty aftermarket shocks.
Injector upgrade
Go up a couple tire sizes
0411Swap
A few little other odds & ends

I'm a family man, married with 5 kids. I'm not someone who has the luxury of making a vehicle solely a toy. It needs to play multiple roles. So, something that can move the family, do some towing, & just cruise on some low rpms for that little extra fuel economy.

I've been on the hunt for a K2500 Suburban w/ the 350 Vortec for a while, had the chance to get one a couple years ago & regrettably let it slip away.
So, I've built my 99 K1500 Suburban to fill those roles as much as feasibly possible.

99xcss4

92g-94c frank'n (truburban) K-2500
Reaction score
there are 2 would have custom built both you could have never gotten 1 92-93 blazer/yukon 454 vortec fed by tbi nv4500 the most basic interior you could buy on a shortened K-2500 suburban frame with barn door out side would be dressed up like the mid level and high level trim trucks
2 would be a 88-93 extended cab with a 3rd door K3500 with a srw and long bed same power train as truck number 1 where the spare tire would normally be would be a second fuel tank same interior and exterior as truck number 1

95burban

Friends don’t let friends use spindles.
Reaction score
To be clear, i have two of these trucks already, one was bought new in 92 by my uncle and the other was bought by my mom and dad in 02…

1992 Chevy regular cab
2wd
Silverado package
White with blue interior
factory eq cassette player
Power everything.

Hands down my most favorite truck in the world.

Only thing I would do would lower it on 17in billet wheels from Boyd or Colorado customs, tint, and a dumped flowmaster. Basically how i had my truck in HS

Young me did a full system, tweed interior, and tons of billet.

I’m older now and i appreciate factory OEM+, but everything looks better lowered and every radio needs more bass.