Help reading manual for torque specs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

IMV8N

Reaction score
I just recently replaced my oil pump and as I was putting the flywheel cover back on I noticed two different torque specs. I would like to know which are the correct ones and if anyone has any input on why there are two different torque specs? What am I missing? I am seeing 89 inch lbs and 24 ft lbs
You must be registered for see images attach

NickTransmissions

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just recently replaced my oil pump and as I was putting the flywheel cover back on I noticed two different torque specs. I would like to know which are the correct ones and if anyone has any input on why there are two different torque specs? What am I missing? I am seeing 89 inch lbs and 24 ft lbs=
Do you have a 4L60E with a detachable bell housing or no?

If not, you have either a plastic or sheet metal cover which is what the 89 inch lbs corresponds to....If you have a detachable bell housing, the bolt torque is 24 ft lbs...The illustration shows a two piece case where the bell housing (aka converter cover) is detachable.

NickTransmissions

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m not sure. It’s a 1996 GMC K1500 4x4

Here are a couple pictures of the cover if that helps.
1996 = one piece case. Two-piece cases were 1998+ (except Vettes). Use the 89 inch lbs spec on those tc cover bolts.

ETA - is that cover aluminum? If so the torque spec may be different.

Last edited:

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m not sure. It’s a 1996 GMC K1500 4x4

Here are a couple pictures of the cover if that helps.

Interesting... a 1996 "K" model without the "NVH" reinforcing bars that bolted to the engine mounts and to the transmission cover.

The transmission cover pictured by OP obviously has the mounting bosses for these rods.

The torque specs for those cover bolts are pretty high, because of the cover’s intended use as a reinforcing member. Those are big bolts, about a 3/8” (Metric equivalent), so a 33#ft spec seems appropriate.

I'll wonder if the “NVH” reinforcing rods were installed as OE but were later removed.

Those were discussed on GMT400 here:

https://www.gmt400.com/threads/rod-thrown-what-now.59267/post-1260706

Last edited:

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So you highlight the v8 and v6. Torque specs for two different engines. Use that which applies to what your working on.
Are asking about the left and right support brace rods as shown in figures 35, 36 ? Those torque specs are at the bottom of torque specs page. 7A-14D30
You'll get faster correct advice when you start with , make , model, year, and problem. All four wheel drive are Kxxxx, all two drive are Cxxxx

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
So you highlight the v8 and v6. Torque specs for two different engines. Use that which applies to what your working on.
Are asking about the left and right support brace rods as shown in figures 35, 36 ? Those torque specs are at the bottom of torque specs page. 7A-14D30
You'll get faster correct advice when you start with , make , model, year, and problem. All four wheel drive are Kxxxx, all two drive are Cxxxx
Like pulling teeth sometimes.