GMT400 paint color question.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

frito-bandito

8 Lugs + 6 Tires + 4 Doors
Reaction score
So... does anyone know what would be the cheapest and easiest way to paint my bed to match the rest of the truck. I thought maybe Dupli-color rattle can, uh I don't know. Please help!

Reaction score
Do you know if the bed has been repainted? or your cab?...it is possible to be just someone mixed the tint wrong (it happens alot with white colors)..I work in Autobody and refinishing..and believe it or not but white is a tough color to match. The tints in white paint can vary from red,blue,black,yellow,etc...

frito-bandito

Reaction score
The bed is definitely off of an older truck, the tailgate color matches and it has the older style riveted on GMC emblems, and the paint inside of the bed is peeling and showing primer like the early GMT400s are famous for. Also the tailgate has the older style metal tailgate supports where the 98 should have cables instead.

But you make a good point, I wonder if I got the bed painted, would look the same or even worse?

Reaction score
it would depend on the person painting it really...if you have a half-way decent painter you could almost match the color...or even have the colors blended from the cab into the bed...there would be a slight difference but not really noticeable unless you know what youre looking for

Reaction score
Haha..i understand that completely...you could always just spray the entire truck in primer (as a cheap fix) until you are ready for paint..atleast this way the whole truck would be uniform in color.. or take it to Maaco for a quick,cheap $300 paint job

frito-bandito

Reaction score
I've thought about MAACO but I don't think I have big enough marbles to trust them, my ol lady would **** a brick if I primered it up cause she don't see the different colors, lmao!

Reaction score
well sir..you are in a ****** spot then lol...honestly i wouldnt trust maaco myself..i only mention them as a temporary resolution...as far as your wife..youre on your own with that one..ive got my own to deal with lol. i just recently repaired my cab corners (common rust)..she doesnt mind the patches of primer..she just hates the truck in general because of the gas mileage...but i already gave up the motorcycle and my lowrider truck project...she aint getting this one!!!

frito-bandito

Reaction score
Lol! Stay strong bro!! My wife got tired of riding in my 94 with no AC and glasspacks and single cab, she finally made me breakdown and buy another truck. So I bought this truck (OBS of course) and got to keep the 94!! I almost got her talked into a Flowmaster and rims, but I still gotta work on her some, her B day and our anniversary is coming up so I'll have to wait a while I'm sure!

canuckz71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I definitely wouldn't trust Maaco. I've seen their paint jobs after not too long and the paint is peeling and cracking, complete waste of money. Either take it somewhere to get it done professionally or get Dupont paint, primer, a couple spray guns and a dust/bug free area and do it yourself. But to only paint one thing will still be expensive with the spray guns and crap you have to buy.