GM V12 engine

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gotta love the old venerable Rocketdyne F1 engine. We're talking about all these old GMC engines, but this thing here was designed and built in the 50's and 60's and used a 55,000hp gas turbine engine AS THE FUEL PUMP, to pump 414 gallons of liquid oxygen and 258 gallons of RP1(kerosene rocket fuel) per SECOND. The Saturn V first stage had five of these running at the same time and flowed enough fuel and oxidizer to empty an Olympic swimming pool every 3 minutes. Each engine generated 1,500,000 lbf of thrust.
And where are we now? 2 astronauts stuck in space, the toilet isn’t working, and they’ll likely be there another 5 months. Probably worth mentioning this large engine too:
You must be registered for see images attach

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Probably worth mentioning this large engine too:
You must be registered for see images attach

Big Boy is going to be on the move pretty soon, coming through northern Illinois…. near me, and I’m looking forward to seeing it again.

See

https://pages.pagesuite.com/8/7/87f10525-8dd4-4007-95e1-718837280bdf/page.pdf

We chased it across Illinois when it was through here a couple years ago.

I had seen that very same locomotive prior to the restoration when it was on static display in a railroad museum in California at the LA County Fairplex. In fact, they were just getting ready to roll it out of the museum and roll it to Wyoming to begin the restoration.

God Bless America!!!

Last edited:

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Talking about old technology…

Remember the sleeve valve engines of the early 20th century? I couldn’t believe they existed until I saw one in a museum with the engine cut-away to show the mechanism.
If, the gas turbine and jet engine hadn't achieved their dominance on the timescale they did, piston engines today may well deploy sleeve valves. The piston engine destined for aviation - but for the advance of GTs and JEs was a sleeve valve 2-stroke - the Rolls-Royce Crecy.
It differed from earlier sleeve valve engines in that the exhaust gasses were expelled over the top of the sleeve - not through ports cut into the sleeve. Along with eliminating a troublesome (sticking sealing rings) 'junk head' it also permitted a lower engine frontal area - a big deal in aviation. Thus, uniflow scavenging was available at the smallest frontal area. The principal advantage of sleeve valves for 4-stroke engines (higher detonation threshold) was rendered moot with advancements in gasoline octane ratings and improved metallurgy - especially for exhaust valves - and it still required the tall junk head.

Cadillacmak

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
And where are we now? 2 astronauts stuck in space, the toilet isn’t working, and they’ll likely be there another 5 months. Probably worth mentioning this large engine too:
The Big Boys are awesome! My Grandpa retired from the UP as a Conductor, the wreck of 4005 near Wamsutter WY took the life of his best friend Bob Anderton (James was his first name).

Last edited:

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Not just the raw horsepower produced for propeller thrust the exhaust was routed through a turbo compound supercharger. There easily seen behind the engine nacelles on the P38 Lightning.
On the large radial engines the exhaust is routed to provide additional thrust similar to jet exhaust thrust. And some have a supercharger, and a few have selectable high or low boost. :waytogo:

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Wright Cyclone R3350, redline 3655 horsepower . That's 1.09 hp per cubic inch. 18 cylinders @ 203 HP each.
LOL one cylinder makes more power than my truck. :grd:

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Wright Cyclone R3350, redline 3655 horsepower . That's 1.09 hp per cubic inch. 18 cylinders @ 203 HP each.
LOL one cylinder makes more power than my truck. :grd:
That, Rolls-Royce's Crecy and Napier's Nomad were the piston engines of the future - until that pesky jet engine showed up...